Sign in to follow this  
MKSpeedlab

Keyed Power for EFI?

I was wondering if anyone knows, or maybe they have installed an EFI system in their car, which wire under the hood would work for a keyed power that also stays on when starting. I have tried to look through some wiring diagrams but just gave myself a headache. I was hoping that the throttle position solenoid wire would fit the bit but was having a hard time testing. The car is a 72 although Im guessing there werent too many wiring changes over the years. 

Edited by MKSpeedlab

Look for red/yellow wires on the engine gauge feed harness (outboard most female bullet on the 4 pin plug on the headlight harness). 

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

Flamicon2.jpg

oldfart.png

Sounds good, I will take a look tomorrow and see what I can find. Im guessing drivers side somewhere near the washer tank? Do you know if the throttle position solenoid would also work since its no longer on the car? I was looking at the wiring diagram and its a red wire with yellow stripes so is that the one your talking about? Its located on the drivers side of the intake manifold. 

Edited by MKSpeedlab

Depending on the solenoid it is hot during run or when the A/C is on, but not during start.

The wire midlife directed you to meets both requirements. 

You can also tap off the I post of the starter solenoid (same circuit, same function, different place).

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at

smlogo.jpg

Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC

Ok, I'll have to see if I can find where the wire he mentioned is located. 

10 hours ago, TheRktmn said:

Depending on the solenoid it is hot during run or when the A/C is on, but not during start.

The wire midlife directed you to meets both requirements. 

You can also tap off the I post of the starter solenoid (same circuit, same function, different place).

No, the I post would have only 9 Volts or so due to the resistor wire during the time the key is in RUN position. 

Another wire is the green/red wire going to the voltage regulator, but only if you have an ammeter in the dash cluster.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

Flamicon2.jpg

oldfart.png

53 minutes ago, midlife said:

No, the I post would have only 9 Volts or so due to the resistor wire during the time the key is in RUN position. 

Another wire is the green/red wire going to the voltage regulator, but only if you have an ammeter in the dash cluster.

Oooo that might work nice, I the car does have the factory ammeter. Although it will likely change the ammeter to a voltmeter at some point. I will check for that wire first. 

11 hours ago, midlife said:

I stand corrected.  I was thinking of activating a relay or soft switch like the MSD box, not  a constant power source.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at

smlogo.jpg

Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC

That said, I likely will hook it to a relay to make sure the EFI is getting a nice clean 12v when the key comes on. I have heard that the EFI systems like things to be as clean as possible without any noise. 

The green/red wire for the voltage regulator worked perfect. Note to self, dont buy relays off Amazon anymore. But after replacing the relay I was using with a quality one its working great.