RocketFoot

Finally changing the fuel pump

I am finally getting around to changing the fuel pump on the engine.  Had to take the oil filter and lower rad hose off to get to the damn bolts but it coming along nicely.  If this don't get her running, I guess a new carb is next.

20200703_143013.jpg

20200703_141957.jpg

spacer.png

Sweet!  Hope that gets it for ya! :thumb:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Well, while I'm here I might as well........:whistling:

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Hmm..I should too...I'm sure that last owner didn't change that and he owned this car 22 years...so it could be real old...but still working..:D

Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971, 351 Cleveland 2 barrel carburetor, 3-speed manual, 9 inch rear.
Color red, interior black. In original condition in it's good and bad things.

Ok, so the pump is replaced but still no start.  I pulled the fuel line off the carb and bumped the engine...it squirted like a fire hose!  So there is fuel to the carb.  Engine will start and idle for a few seconds with a little fuel squirted into the carb...so there is spark.  I ain't no mechanic but it seem like I may need a new carb?  Also, when I pulled the line off the carb, it shot the whole way to the firewall like it was pressured up to the carb but couldn't get through!

spacer.png

What carb do you have? Is there a sintered bronze filter at the carb inlet? Maybe that's plugged.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Try to check the float level in the carb bowls, especially the front one. You could have a bad float or just some crap in there that’s preventing a proper level.

John - 72 Q Code

It's a Holley on there now...not sure what CFM but I can check these things out.  I did spray the shit outta it with carb cleaner and no change!

spacer.png

What type of Holley- single inlet with a transfer tube or dual feed?

As another person mentioned, dual feeds (a separate line going to each fuel bowl) originally had a bronze filter underneath the bowl fuel fitting. These can  get plugged up over time.

I can't remember if single feeds had something similar?

Another thing to check is the needle and seat. Its under the adjuster nut on the fuel bowl, if this is stuck it would act like you are describing. try tapping the outside of the bowl in this area with a screwdriver handle.

It's a single feed Holley.

spacer.png

Do you have (or have access to) a spare carb you can swap out? Even if you have to fab up temporary fuel lines, you could at least validate if the carb is the issue. 

1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX, trick flow  heads

Lunati retro roller conversion ("stockish" specs with high lift).

Classic Auto AC

Manual Front Disc conversion

620 lb front and 5-leaf HD rear springs w/Gas-adjust shocks

IMG-2977.jpg

1 hour ago, 71coop said:

Do you have (or have access to) a spare carb you can swap out? Even if you have to fab up temporary fuel lines, you could at least validate if the carb is the issue. 

No, I don't...the symptoms and test results sure do point to a carb issue but like I said, I am not much of a mechanic, LOL!

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

Plugged line or incorrect float as others mentioned. On Holley many can be adjusted externally. Open the float bowl view screws and see if its filling with fuel. It should be right at the bottom of the inspection hole. That will tell you a whole lot. This Holley video may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKEonVeOXco

This will validate if fuel is getting into the carb.

Edited by mezell29

My_Vert_Signature.jpg.be46b029936118552aebff3a5a6ae997.jpg

1973 Convertible : 351C, FMX, Factory AC, PS, PB, 2.75 Rear Ratio

Just a suggestion. The last time I changed a fuel pump it was bad off the shelf. I could not get the engine to run without squirting gas into the carb would not take off. I pulled the pump and used my brake vacuum pump and it would not hold a vacuum so diaphragm was bad out of the box. So I took back to the parts house and took the pump with me to show them it was bad and checked the next one. The one I took off was a Holley that had also gone bad.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David