Trevynd

Got my 429 4 speed today!

Got this awesome numbers matching beast today. 
I want to restore it properly and bring it back to how it was.

the engine will def need a rebuild.

when trying to keep a numbers matching car original is there a level of what’s acceptable when it comes to parts replacement on engine internals? 

A835B688-BDBC-4996-861E-190099FF2CDB.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Congrats on your car.  Looks like you will be busy for awhile.  If you are trying to maintain it's value then the answer is yes.  If the car is serial match and all original then any changes will effect it's value.  If going for Concours then you will want to keep it "correct parts".   From my understanding on the internal parts of the engine you are going to want to keep the same specs as factory original.  No changes or modification to the engine.   Some of the members with concours cars can verify this.   

Edited by Kilgon
  • Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the site! Check out the 429 megasite for all kinds of great info about your car and how it left the factory.

• Like 1

John - 72 Q Code

Congrats, welcome to the Blue on Blue club! 😉

429CJ engines had good quality internals from the factory. Nobody is going to complain if you upgrade to SCJ-type parts like forged pistons. 

• Like 1

[button=https://www.7173mustangs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=41&filterxt_uid=34]Visit My Garage[/button]

Obtaining a 429 CJ or SCJ is always a valuable acquisition, regardless of condition.

From the looks of the way things are going these days, the value of these motors are increasing and the interest in them is congruent with increasing value.

When I rebuilt my 429 SCJ, I used the best possible parts: new pistons, .040 over, Cam Research camshaft, new solid lifters, hardened push rods, new springs, valve guides and associated valve train parts. Everything else was standard Cobra Jet parts. Upon completion, the motor has retained its value and is likely operating at a higher performance level.

And as to the rest of the rebuild, I took my time each step of the way. Temptation is to rush, but it never pays. Enjoy the ride of the rebuild!

• Like 1

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

I have a concours driven gold car and the numbers matching engine has been stroked to 408 CID. You can not see inside the engine readily so no one knows the difference unless I tell them. It is a lot more fun to drive as a 408C. The factory piston and ring package is heavy and creates more friction than a modern piston and ring package.I see no point in chasing down NOS parts like that. The same goes for valve train components. In the end, to each his own. Good luck with the build, it will be a great car. Chuck

• Like 1

Congrats!

Blue on blue- nice combo!

Looks like a great project!

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase. Welcome from Iowa. 

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Congrats on the 429 Mustang, a 4 speed no less!  I have a 429 CJ-R 4 speed car myself and it's quite a blast to drive.  So much so, that there are a few little details i never get around to.  Looks like you have good bones to begin with, and after a few key items are taken care of you will have a functional car and you can take it from there.  I believe I saw the pics for you car also on the Facebook page.

• Like 1

Congratulations

Sendt fra min G8341 med Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Welcome from San Diego. Nice find.

- Mike