Best carb for 302?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
What is the best carb for a slightly modified 302?  The engine is actually a 306 with mild cam and 289 heads.  It currently has a Holley 4 bbl on it with electric choke.  I am unsure of the cfm's...not sure what is best for the 306?  Looking for best value also!

For me, my first choice would be to have a go at the existing carb by stripping and cleaning everything, installing new filters and gaskets, float needles and seats, in other words drop a kit into it. There should be a number on it somewhere to identify it I would think. A basic strip and clean is not too hard to do, just take your time and pay attention. If that does not get you going, them it may be time to drop 3-400 bucks on a new carb.

Running a 600cfm quick fuel brawler carb on my mild 302. I stepped up the primary discharge nozzle one size from the factory .029" to .031" and the throttle response feels perfect.

I was running a standard Holley 600 CFM w/vacuum secondaries previously. It was a little bit more street friendly, but I enjoy having the extra control you get with mechanical secondaries. Comes a lot down to personal preference IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running a 600cfm quick fuel brawler carb on my mild 302. I stepped up the primary discharge nozzle one size from the factory .029" to .031" and the throttle response feels perfect.

I was running a standard Holley 600 CFM w/vacuum secondaries previously. It was a little bit more street friendly, but I enjoy having the mechanical secondaries. Comes a lot down to personal preference and what you're looking for performance-wise.
I just want it to start every time and run decent!  This isn't a race care for me...just a street cruiser.

I just want it to start every time and run decent!  This isn't a race care for me...just a street cruiser.
Can't go wrong with a 600 CFM Holley w/ vacuum secondaries then. When I bought mine, it ran great right out of the box.

OK, I found the tag on the carb from a video I posted on FB a while back!  It is a Holley Reman 65-80457 born on 9/29/2011...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-65-80457

So I am looking for something similar that is easy to swap out!
That's probably all you need, but don't be afraid to have a go at your existing carb as it's not too old. It may only need a good cleaning. It doesn't take much to gum up the works. Your choice of course, a little work or a load of money.

I'm not sure how its possible to sell a remanufactured carb for $40 that has actually been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt...

I'm not sure how its possible to sell a remanufactured carb for $40 that has actually been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt...
I'm not sure either...I thought it was a mistype but it has already shipped!  I guess we will find out! 

Yeah, I just got an email...it says it has shipped so I have a couple days to wait but Ebay promises 100% refund so no loss!  If it's too good to be true...it probably is!  LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it's not just the throttle plates base.  I've seen a few of those listed for around $40.
I think it was some kind of scam...the listing is down and the seller was ejected from ebay, LOL!

Back