What is the best carb for a slightly modified 302?  The engine is actually a 306 with mild cam and 289 heads.  It currently has a Holley 4 bbl on it with electric choke.  I am unsure of the cfm's...not sure what is best for the 306?  Looking for best value also!

spacer.png

I like Holleys. I'd go with a 600 on a 302.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

A holley or quick fuel 600 cfm. I have seen a lot of recommendations on the summit carbs but do not have any experience with them. 

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

For me, my first choice would be to have a go at the existing carb by stripping and cleaning everything, installing new filters and gaskets, float needles and seats, in other words drop a kit into it. There should be a number on it somewhere to identify it I would think. A basic strip and clean is not too hard to do, just take your time and pay attention. If that does not get you going, them it may be time to drop 3-400 bucks on a new carb.

• Like 2

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Posted (edited)

Running a 600cfm quick fuel brawler carb on my mild 302. I stepped up the primary discharge nozzle one size from the factory .029" to .031" and the throttle response feels perfect.

I was running a standard Holley 600 CFM w/vacuum secondaries previously. It was a little bit more street friendly, but I enjoy having the extra control you get with mechanical secondaries. Comes a lot down to personal preference IMO.

Edited by Galucha
1 minute ago, Galucha said:

Running a 600cfm quick fuel brawler carb on my mild 302. I stepped up the primary discharge nozzle one size from the factory .029" to .031" and the throttle response feels perfect.

I was running a standard Holley 600 CFM w/vacuum secondaries previously. It was a little bit more street friendly, but I enjoy having the mechanical secondaries. Comes a lot down to personal preference and what you're looking for performance-wise.

I just want it to start every time and run decent!  This isn't a race care for me...just a street cruiser.

spacer.png

Just now, RocketFoot said:

I just want it to start every time and run decent!  This isn't a race care for me...just a street cruiser.

Can't go wrong with a 600 CFM Holley w/ vacuum secondaries then. When I bought mine, it ran great right out of the box.

OK, I found the tag on the carb from a video I posted on FB a while back!  It is a Holley Reman 65-80457 born on 9/29/2011...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-65-80457

So I am looking for something similar that is easy to swap out!

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, RocketFoot said:

OK, I found the tag on the carb from a video I posted on FB a while back!  It is a Holley Reman 65-80457 born on 9/29/2011...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-65-80457

So I am looking for something similar that is easy to swap out!

That's probably all you need, but don't be afraid to have a go at your existing carb as it's not too old. It may only need a good cleaning. It doesn't take much to gum up the works. Your choice of course, a little work or a load of money.

• Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I don't know what the scam is here, but I just ordered a Holley 600 CFM Refurb carb for $39.99!  At this price, I couldn't resist...it's from ebay so if it is bad or junk, I will get my money back.  My old carb was a reman that lasted 11 years!  What do you guys think?  It even got stellar ratings!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-0-80457SA-600CFM-4bbl-Factory-Refurbished-ALUMINUM-Carb-Electric-Choke/353129609659?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

spacer.png

I'm not sure how its possible to sell a remanufactured carb for $40 that has actually been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt...

10 minutes ago, mjlan said:

I'm not sure how its possible to sell a remanufactured carb for $40 that has actually been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt...

I'm not sure either...I thought it was a mistype but it has already shipped!  I guess we will find out! 

spacer.png

Yeah, I just got an email...it says it has shipped so I have a couple days to wait but Ebay promises 100% refund so no loss!  If it's too good to be true...it probably is!  LOL

spacer.png

Sure it's not just the throttle plates base.  I've seen a few of those listed for around $40.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

9 minutes ago, Kilgon said:

Sure it's not just the throttle plates base.  I've seen a few of those listed for around $40.

I think it was some kind of scam...the listing is down and the seller was ejected from ebay, LOL!

spacer.png