drum brake leftover hardware

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slocody

Reaction score
My Car
it's a '73, and it's brown. still tryin' to figure out the rest.
OK so this is the first time I have dug into drum brakes. I thought I was finished, but when I was collecting all the old parts, I had these little slotted oval pieces leftover. I am attaching a picture of the piece (left) as well as the auto-adjust lever for scale. What am I looking at? My best guess is that it is a backing plate for the parking brake link bar spring, but it doesn't show up in any of the parts diagrams I can find.

Thanks in advance.

20200707_172457.jpg

It kinda looks like the retainer that the pin goes through to hold the shoes into place. Looks pretty beat up if it is. I normally change all of my old hardware when I do brake shoes. Good luck, hope someone chimes in and helps figure this one out. 

Tom

No those are all accounted for. This is about twice as big. I changed out all my hardware, springs, adjusters, etc. This wasn't in any of those kits.

thanks!

Ok I figured it out- it does go on the parking brake link. Just for posterity, I found an exploded diagram in this post.

Cody

It's in this pic. It's the automatic shoe adjuster 

I am by far not an expert on drum brakes, but always, always buy new hardware kits. They are cheap on Rock Auto.com Never use old stuff. These of course are the rears, but fronts are similar. The other small part, I'm not sure what that is, maybe on a different model than mine. Hope that helps.

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

OK so this is the first time I have dug into drum brakes. I thought I was finished, but when I was collecting all the old parts, I had these little slotted oval pieces leftover. I am attaching a picture of the piece (left) as well as the auto-adjust lever for scale. What am I looking at? My best guess is that it is a backing plate for the parking brake link bar spring, but it doesn't show up in any of the parts diagrams I can find.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 43122
Hmmm! interesting. the little plate you show is for that flat bar spring which is also NOT included in the rebuild kits. Mine, if it was ever there, was missing, but the oval spring does have to be reused along with the plate. You can see where the oval spring once sat. I guess I'll have to  check if my rear brakes actually need them and find a couple. 

Thanks all. I'll stick it back in there today. I was really looking forward to taking the damn things apart again 😉

Back