Leaking carb float

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
So I have been having some problems with keeping the proper fuel level in the front bowl. I have a Quick Fuel 735 dual feed with vacuum secondaries and electric choke. Anyway, the last couple weeks I have had to adjust the flat level a couple times, after I thought I had it right. I have cleaned everything up and made sure the needle and seat was clean and moving. It was, but I did notice that the float was kinda sticking  somewhat. So I removed it to check the little spring, thought maybe something was wrong with it, but it was fine. Then as I was moving the float around I thought I heard something sloshing inside of it. I have found the issue, fuel in the float. Son of a bitch! No wonder I couldn’t seem to get the level to stay the same. I couldn’t find where it was getting into it though, probably along the seam somewhere I guess. 
I took a plastic float from an older Holley I have and swapped it into the QF. To late to start tonight so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow morning. I’m sure it was the problem, just thought I would post about it in case it helps someone in the future.

Glad you found the problem.  The type of thing that can easily be overlooked.  If you want to try and fix it and can't find where it is leaking  and you can put the float in extremely hot water (right before boiling point) and the gas will evaporate and expand and you will see bubbles.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kilgon, I figure with the high heat here lately that the brass float may have expanded. I guess I thought that the brass floats were better and more durable than the plastic ones? I guess not 

Same thing happened to my Holley.  After about three years use the engine began to flood.

The float had a hole in it and filled with gas.  I have one of those C/H nitrophyl floats Holley #116-3

if anyone wants it.

mike

Back