Hello from Germany/Bavarian

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary Blue

Reaction score
hello everybody,

thx a lot for adding....

to introduceĀ my car and myself, it will take a bitšŸ˜…

I am Sarah, 35 years, living in bavarian near to munich. I felt inlove with the american v8 sound , when I was 18. But it is not that easy, even as a girl, to get an american car here. It took me nearly 15 years to realize my dream. While IĀ was searching for a car -I wanted an oldtimer all the time, IĀ found my blue lady- now called Mary Blue. She was not in good conditions- but when we came for car inspection, IĀ fell inlove...I knew it will be a lot of work, but I didn`t wanted a perfect car.....so there she is.

Mary Blue 1972 Ford Mustang with an 302 Windsor- BUT when IĀ had her home, we found out- my mustang was delivered 1972 with an in-line six-cylinder engine, and my 302 windsor from 1974(!)was placed in in the 80Ā“s in germany......and this is , whennĀ problems gotĀ startedšŸ˜‘Ā to get more power, my engine was given sharper camshaft( sorry don t know, if this correct in englishšŸ¤”)Ā unfortunatelyĀ we don`t have any information what kind of camshaft....although there where many things changed -not original from 1972-my brake lines were from the 1980`s, my balancer is from 351 Cleveland engine and so on.....IĀ rebuilt her as best I can, and IĀ get a lot of help of my best friend Manu, who is a mechanic.HeĀ rebuilt an 1965 mustang up to 400hp-sold it, and bought an 1968 Ford Galaxie 500XL with the 427 FE engine.....he knows the 60Ā“s mustangs, but not the 70Ā“s, so this whyĀ  we recognize so late, that there are so many things not orginal......so pls don Ā“t be mad about me, if IĀ ask "stupid" questionsšŸ˜”.....we try our best to get the most information on our own. I bought some manuals....but still there are some riddles for usšŸ™ˆĀ and sometimes it drives me really crazyšŸ˜„šŸ’¢šŸ¤£Ā and I can just make rebuilding step by step, because the most thing that have to be done are really expensive for mešŸ™ˆ

so what we did already- we changedĀ all liquids and oils, we renew all hoses, nearly all brake lines are new, a new stainless steel exhaust from pypes with an x-pipe, new wheels and tires,new petrol lines, new carburetor from holley 600,rebuilt the differential with a new ratioĀ from 2,78 to 3,55, I did a lot of painting, new valve lid, new balancer, new drum brakesĀ in the back, new disc brakes including new master cylinder, new water pump,newĀ  ignition cables, nearly everthing is new sealed, and this winter the new big projekt is the suspension...IĀ try to save up money for leaf springmid-eye1"-Lowering 4-1/2 Leaf pair, so that the projekt can be started.....

I found already very friendly support in the american mustang group - I can tell you, in Germay the mustang groups are unfriendly, the most of the time, just stupid comments and so on....I am happy to be here, and maybe if all will went well, we wanna go on holiday to usa next year-looking forward to it.šŸ¤—

pictures will follow

Welcome from Central New York.

You have definitely come to the right place for help with the 71-73 Mustangs. I don't know where you could find a group of more knowledgeable people.

Even though I don't know any of the folks on the siteĀ personally they all seem like a great bunch of people and are always ready to provide advice and support.

Have fun with Mary Blue,

Mike.

Hello Sarah, and welcome to the site from Michigan. Great story about your car. Hopefully you get everything all figured out and you can drive it and have some fun. There are people on here that know absolutely everything about these cars.Ā 

Hello Sarah and welcome from SW Ontario Canada. Trust me, not all Mustang owners in Germany are "unfriendly". There are several really great members on this Forum from Germany and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon.

As for your car, it sounds like a good car, but like many, has been "upgraded". Add some pictures if you can.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're here to help.

Stanglover (Geoff)

Hi Sarah and "Welcome" from Ohio.Ā  As many of the members have already mentioned you won't find a better site or group of people.Ā  We are all here to help each other.Ā  Ā From what you wrote it sounds like you got the car in great shape mechanically.Ā  Ā Post some pictures when you can.

Hello Sarah,

So glad you decided to join us. When I ran across your post on Facebook about theĀ spark plug problems you were having, I just knew you needed an invite to look us over. Everyone here is very knowledgeable and willing to help you any way they can. We have many international members here,Ā including several from Germany. Sorry to hearĀ you some bad experiences with your German Mustang group. You will notĀ run into that here.

You and Mary Blue are going to like it here.....Welcome to your new Mustang home!!Ā Ā šŸ™‚

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx everybody, yes I think I am at best place here.....Ā 

After test ride today my pony is still a riddle for us šŸ™ˆ

Welcome from Ohio - Nothing wrong with a modifiedĀ  car, as long as the work asĀ  well done. My Mach 1 is highly modified from original. It was a base Mach 1 with 302, manual drum brakes, powerĀ  steering and no air conditioning when itĀ  was new. It's now powered by a mildly built 351 cleveland, front disc brakes, and aftermarket AC, much of which I've done myself. I think you will find people here are pretty helpful.

Welcome from Ohio - Nothing wrong with a modifiedĀ  car, as long as the work asĀ  well done. My Mach 1 is highly modified from original. It was a base Mach 1 with 302, manual drum brakes, powerĀ  steering and no air conditioning when itĀ  was new. It's now powered by a mildly built 351 cleveland, front disc brakes, and aftermarket AC, much of which I've done myself. I think you will find people here are pretty helpful.
Yes you are right, so far if you have all information about, what was done..... I don t know a Mustang 1972 in detail, so when I want to change an broken part, I order it for a 1972 mustang, but most of the time, this part was not fitting, because the broken part was from a another year.... And so it went on.....Ā 

If you do it all on your own, then it's best.. You know what you have done šŸ˜…

I am sure that's frustrating. When I got my car, it was already not original but I always assume that to be the case with any older car I buy (no matter what I am told by the seller). I ordered a Marti report to find out theĀ original options were, then made a point to spentĀ  time understanding what is actually in the car. Although, it sounds like you have already found many of the changes the hard way.

Yes you are right, so far if you have all information about, what was done..... I don t know a Mustang 1972 in detail, so when I want to change an broken part, I order it for a 1972 mustang, but most of the time, this part was not fitting, because the broken part was from a another year.... And so it went on.....Ā 

If you do it all on your own, then it's best.. You know what you have done šŸ˜…
Kind of look at it like an archeological dig. Document what you have and what you don't know for sure. Over time the picture will become clearer. I've had my car 22 years and am still discovering "new" things as I go. It's good to see things from your perspective, I will need to put a log book together to document all the modifications I've made or the next person will be totally lost. It's quite an amalgam of parts. LOL!!

I am sure that's frustrating. When I got my car, it was already not original but I always assume that to be the case with any older car I buy (no matter what I am told by the seller). I ordered a Marti report to find out theĀ original options were, then made a point to spentĀ  time understanding what is actually in the car. Although, it sounds like you have already found many of the changes the hard way.
I think in Germany it is normal when you buy an older amrican car, which is not expensive šŸ™ˆ also it may be, that I was a little bit naive..... I looked up about 4 cars before - not mustangs, but she catched my eye.... šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ™ˆ Yesterday I had the next frustrating experience.... But life would be boring, if everything went always.....Ā 

Back