Carb Tuning with Narrowband O2 Sensor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe
Built 306ci, Nitrous,
Modded C4, 9" rear w/4.57s
I've rebuilt, tuned and modified Holley and Holley-design carbs in various applications over the years, but have recently decided to try another tuning tool in one of my Mustangs. I recently had a full exhaust done on my Mach 1, complete with X-pipe, mated to my Patriot headers and, at the time, added a header collector with provisions for an O2 sensor, with the intent that I would add an A/F gauge later on.  Well, I've finally got around to it. I'm going to install a basic narrowband setup using a one-wire Denso oxygen sensor and a mounted AFR gauge. 

The gauge consists of ten LEDs that represents 0.1V each (since the sensor wire sends a 0-1V reading) and displays red, yellow and green lights. While the gauge itself does not display an actual number, the instructions do indicate what lights represent a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio.  I've also found what I believe to be a fairly accurate graphing of A/F ratio-to-sensor voltage for narrowband that hopefully will allow me to not only adjust the carb for idle and cruising, but WOT as well.  If the narrowband approach doesn't work well for me I can always upgrade to a wideband and change the sensor and gauge.

Has anybody else had experience with using a narrowband O2 for tuning their carburetor, and if so what were your thoughts?

Well, I tried one on a f.i. factory 99 g.t. with a add-on procharger, and it would swing back and forth on reading at all but full throttle. Get a A.E.D. wide band, more accurate, my 2 cents.

+1 on the AED wide band system works well. Shortens the tuning time considerably. Chuck

Some time ago, I borrowed an AFR from a friend while trying to figure out and understand my Holley S/A 670 on my 351C 4V and posted a video.

Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing, but I did get the carb running pretty much spot on. Here's the link. OOPs it's TOO BIG TO UPLOAD!!

BUT, perhaps this post will help. https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/33799-holley-sa-670-tweaking-need-advice/?do=findComment&comment=350396

Ah, Time flies, memory fades. It was a YouTube link. For what it's worth, here it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back