Tilt column turn signal cancelation cam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
I  recently received a rebuilt Ford tilt column for my 71 Mach 1. Prior to installing the column and my steering wheel, I would like to verify if I am indeed missing a few parts.

My steering wheel is a two spoke, horn button blow style. I believe I may be missing several parts.

Looking at the Mustang parts and body illustrations it appears I am missing the following items.

#13A823 This is shown as two pieces. Both with the same part number. I believe this is the turn signal cancellation cam.

#13A891 Not sure what the function is.

I am also having difficulty in getting the horn button to secure onto the steering wheel.

I would also like to know if the internal shaft of the steering column, at the area where the steering wheel slides on, should have a spring. I have seen earlier model mustangs with a spring there, but it is not shown on the parts and body illustration file

Photos would be appreciated.

thanks

13A823 are the brushes for the horn switch.

13A891 is an insulator for the horn ring contact plate.

You'll find the descriptions of them in the parts catalog.

Don,

Thank you.  What is the parts catalog that you are referring to?  I couldn't find anything on your site.

Does the 71' have some type of turn signal canceling cam used with the horn button blow style steering wheel? I cant tell by looking at the parts and body illustrations.

Should there be a spring that slips over the internal shaft in the column, at the location where the steering wheel attaches?

I have no additional parts between my steering column and steering wheel.

ty

IMG_9468.JPG

Wrong Don, I'm Don C, not Don from OMS.

The parts manual has two sections, one with the illustrations and the other with all of the complete numbers and descriptions.

No separate cam like the earlier cars, no spring between the steering wheel and column. The only spring was between the steering wheel and the horn button on cars with the center horn button.

Sorry for the confusion. I have the parts and body manual. I am surprised it does not show the spring between the steering wheel and horn button. Last night I ordered the 1965-1972 master parts catalog. Hopefully that will add some clarity. 

I appreciate your replies.

None of the '71 to '73 Mustangs have the the horn button contacts in the center, over the hub, therefore no spring between the steering wheel and horn. These Mustangs have the contacts in the rim, on rim blow steering wheels, and in the pads on spoke blow steering wheels. Section 35-80 of Volume 3 of the shop manual will help you.

I looked in my manual an saw the illustration with the spring. I’ve searched for hours trying to locate the correct horn parts for the  blow button horn. With the exception of the pad, I could find nothing. I have learned that this is the basic steering wheel, and a one year only steering wheel. That parts are rare and expensive 

I think I may turn my search to a deluxe two spoke steering wheel. Hopefully I will find a black one in good condition, complete with the horn parts. 

You are correct on the non existent parts for the basic steering wheel.  The problem that I see with these wheels is that the 3 alignment studs/towers that the horn button connects to get worn down or are broken. Once that happens the horn button will just keep popping off.  Like mine does now.  If you need a picture of the spring let me know.  It’s in a box somewhere bagged since it wouldn’t stay on.

Ty 71gbvert,

I messed around with the horn button last night for about a half and hour. Tried adjusting the tang inside of the clips for a secure fit without any luck. I think I'm going to look into another 71 steering wheel. .

Isn't there a deluxe two spoke wheel that has the horn actuation inside the pads to the left and right of the center of the wheel? 

Back