73 tilt column universal joint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomar1957

Reaction score
My Car
73 302 4speed deluxe int air
does anyone know where I can get info and pics of how to rebuild 73 tilt column universal joints

thanks, but this is not what I need .Not pivot pins but repairing the universal joint that ties the two shafts together

Have not been on since the change so I am lost. I posted info in the past. I found the components at local parts house the rag joint was in the Help rack and was Dorman brand was exact match. I put the part number in the write up. I got the pins and the pie shaped pieces at NAPA in another rag joint kit. It was for a 1973 Mustang vert I have with tilt steering. I have 5 tilts so I know it works. Has been on the Charlotte Roval at over 100 mph so I do trust. You have to grind the original parts of and use your original forgings that hook to box and steering shaft. Do a search.

The 1964,65,66 Ford Thunderbird rag joint/ steering coupler is the same one that will fit your 1973 Mustang tilt steering column shaft and the power steering shaft. I know cause I have used

it on my 1972 tilt column.  There is a couple for sale now on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-65-66-Ford-Thunderbird-Steering-Coupler-Rag-Joint/114145788022?hash=item1a939e8076:g:r4AAAOSwgoNeaDsZ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-65-66-Ford-Thunderbird-Steering-Column-Rag-Joint/114152294467?hash=item1a9401c843:g:eek:QkAAOSwVrZecSUg

But if you are going to rebuild yours then David's advise is the way to go he has rebuilt his using the parts he described.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a diagram I used when I rebuilt mine - provided by one of the members years ago (not sure who posted it up way back then).

tilt steering.jpg

ok guys, there is a bit of a misunderstanding. My rag joint and coupler are not the problem. mister 4x4 thanks for diagram. where can I get the  parts to rebuild number 3524 in the diagram?   the universal joint that holds the two shafts together.Thanks for help

Sorry Man, I don't think they're available.  I bought what I thought was a 'good' one from ebay, and then a few days later it snapped off a piece that fortunately, was different from the broken piece in my original column.  I was able to make a good one out of two broken ones, essentially. 

You might check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply - he might have some columns for parting out in his stash of old parts cars.

Jomar1957,

I had suspected that you were asking for. If Don cannot help, then look at the Ford F Series from the early 70’s and to maybe early 80’s. The tilt mechanism was the same. The universal joint is the same. The Lower shaft will be different in length. You may get one cheap and use the parts. They are not making this stuff anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the number of a guy who rebuilds the tilt columns here in the Kansas City Area.  I got his contact number from West Coast Classic Cougars.

kcmash

thanks guys good info. kcmash, the number please. I can hear and feel a slight amount of noise and play in the upper column when turning wheel back and forth with the motor shut off.I would like to know how the joint can be disassembled and repaired. All help is greatly appreciated.

Let me know how this goes - mine's back together and functional, but it's always been a little hinky - even though I used the best parts between the two columns, they all still are a bit worn, of course.

There's a thread on the old site with the part numbers needed to swap in an Ididit column - they don't make direct-fit kits for our cars [of course] but one of our members used a universal kit with some parts to get it working.  I might just go that route eventually.  I'm intrigued by the push button start, rather than having the keys flopping about - but I go back and forth on whether I really want to change things up THAT far.

I dont have the column apart because its summer and time to drive it!!!  I have a 9inch metal lathe if it is round I can make new repair parts.  I was hoping to get some pics of the  the pieces  to see if its possible.If so I would not mind making parts for forum members

Back