What year Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anywhere between '64 1/2 and '68, I'd say.  I can't tell the hardtops apart for those years without seeing the nose or taillight panel.

Nope...that's a 64.5/65 or 66 coupe missing the side scoops behind the door.

That is cool on so many levels.  And agree with Midlife on the year(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got curious enough to go look, and agree with Midlife. 

However, the following years still had the side "C-scoop" indentations, just with different forms of trim pieces in the area.  The '64 1/2 - '65s were usually unadorned, the '66s had a bright metal piece with a couple of scallops, the '67s had a 'fake functional intake vent,' and the '68s went back to a simple bright piece with scallops.  The "C-scoop" indentations went away for '69, but still had some newer 'fake functional intake vents' in the same area on the hardtops.  They finally went away altogether in 1970.

The devil's in the details.  In '67, they changed the Tri-bar Pony and Mustang letters on the fenders - stretched out the letters and lowered them.  Then changed to the cursive like 'Mustang' script letters.

Interesting how they changed this or that from year to year.  I know [in general] we can usually pick out the subtle differences between our '71-'73s, but maybe not notice as much details with the other models, and then seem disappointed when the VMFs can't tell the obvious things apart... then see how they get irritated when other can't tell their favorite year models apart (shoe being on the other foot, and all).  I guess that's the downside of having so many split-off factions from the mainstream.

Last edited by a moderator:
The missing chrome c-scoop adornment throws me off.  Those were missing from 65/66 GT's as were the rocker panel adornments.  Having one but not the other is troubling.  It is not a GT because it is missing the GT badge. 

It's easy to differentiate 65/66 from 67/68's by the sharper crease of the character lines in the doors and fenders for the later years. 

With a limited side view it's hard to tell exactly since the unique items that differentiate the different model years is not visible. Though barely visible, the door lock knob appears to be chrome which would eliminate the April '64-August '64 built 65 Mustangs which MCA designates as 64 1/2.

In 1965 the simulated air scoop ornament is deleted on 2+2 (fastback), GT, or models with the Accent Group. The Accent group option included a paint stripe and rocker panel moulding. The rocker panel moulding was standard only on the 2+2 and optional on all other models except the GT.

In 1966 the simulated air scoop ornament is deleted on 2+2, GT, and Accent Group option. The rocker panel moulding became standard on all '66 Mustangs except GT.

The horse and tri bar fender ornament was the same from 64 1/2 through 68. The only change was to add the engine size designation on 67-68 V8 models. The "Mustang" fender ornament was smaller on the 64 1/2 and changed to a larger size on the 65-66. the 67's used the block letters "Mustang" from the 65-66 GT. The 68 used a script Mustang similar to the 69-73 version but was not the same.

If you look closely you can see pinstripe following the upper crease line, go around the scoop area and then back up to the front of the car ending at the fender running horse ornament.  :classic_smile:   

I think it is safe to say this is a 1965 version.    The "side pin stirpe" was  a 65 introduced option.  You can SEE that the door locks ARE NOT "early" 64 1/2 color keyed units.  

Mark

It's easy to differentiate 65/66 from 67/68's by the sharper crease of the character lines in the doors and fenders for the later years. 
That's something I noticed as well, looking at pictures of the different year models.  They probably had to go with new dies after wearing out the originals making so many Mustangs, and decided to embellish those areas a little bit thinking into the future.  I know the dies tend to wear out after so many stampings - that's the big reason why all of the older Jeep CJs with 'Jeep' stamped on the lower front tubs wound up with decals, since the dies were wearing out and looking more like 'Joop.'  They finally went with 'Joop' as the stampings with 'Jeep' decals for the '87 YJs and never went back.

I did not go but my fist cousin went and came home and was pregnant, lol. So she had a good time I guess. I have a poster in my work room you can see behind the rotisserie. Found it at a Goodwill store. 3 people tried to buy it from me while still in the store. It is probably a repop but something to hang in the garage.

20191206_142634.jpg

Back