Crank Balancer disaster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrew2

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible
OK, yesterday I replaced the A/C and alternator belts on my car. Backed it into the driveway and ran it for a while at various RPMs and loads to seat the belts so that i could re-tension if needed. Blipped the throttle twice pretty hard and heard a loud bang under the hood followed by a pretty nasty rattle. Thought the A/C compressor had blown up. Went out this morning and found several pieces of rubber-like material in the drive. Cranked the engine to try and find the rattle and noticed that the balancer had come completely apart. The rattle was the outer timing ring sliding back and forth over the front of the balancer and hitting the block or something on the back side. Question is : 1 any recommendations on a replacement balancer ? and , 2 can this be replaced with the engine in the car? Looks awfully close to front crossmember with the additional A/C pulley. Wish it HAD been the A/C compressor - would have been much easier. 73 351C H-code.

You'll need to remove the pulleys first, then it shouldn't be any problem.

Dorman makes a replacement. If you're interested in spending more money ATI  and Fluidampr make ones that are supposed to be better. Make sure you get the correct balance (28.2 oz). You'll see some that fit 302s and 351Ws also, they will require a spacer, see the 4th post in this thread

I believe this is the correct balancer for the 351C

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pbb-pb1082n/make/ford

Remove belts, remove four bolts, remove pulley. Large bolt in center of damper (IIRC 15/16" hex). Remove bolt and thick washer, thread bolt back in w/out washer. Use steering wheel puller/damper remover to pull damper off by bearing on bolt head. Highly recommend you replace the seal as well. Clean crankshaft, lube crank and damper snout with engine oil. Slide in place, then use a block of wood  and gently *tap* the damper home. Thread center bolt w/washer back in and torque to spec. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cav-189

OK, yesterday I replaced the A/C and alternator belts on my car. Backed it into the driveway and ran it for a while at various RPMs and loads to seat the belts so that i could re-tension if needed. Blipped the throttle twice pretty hard and heard a loud bang under the hood followed by a pretty nasty rattle. Thought the A/C compressor had blown up. Went out this morning and found several pieces of rubber-like material in the drive. Cranked the engine to try and find the rattle and noticed that the balancer had come completely apart. The rattle was the outer timing ring sliding back and forth over the front of the balancer and hitting the block or something on the back side. Question is : 1 any recommendations on a replacement balancer ? and , 2 can this be replaced with the engine in the car? Looks awfully close to front crossmember with the additional A/C pulley. Wish it HAD been the A/C compressor - would have been much easier. 73 351C H-code.
I feel your pain. It could have been worse though.

Balancer.jpg

Back