AOD noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, those who know me know that I reaaaally hate my AOD! 
now there's a new issue (well not that new but getting worse) 

When in overdrive going at low rpm or shifting into overdrive under acceleration at low rpm (Yeah, it immediately goes into overdrive and doesn't realize I'm accelerating unless I floor it) it makes a grinding noise. Imagine pebbles or coarse gravel going down a metal chute.. Imagine your cruising through town in overdrive and accelerate and you'll hear that "shrrrrrkkk" noise.

it also refuses to come out of overdrive until you're almost at the speed of a walking person. And when accelerating in overdrive it will also shortly rev up but not shift down. The whole thing just feels loose and spongy.

yes, the TV cable and pressures had all been set up according to specs. 

My most important question is about the noise though.

Could that be a bad torque converter? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit Lux, that's not good.

I know what you mean about the AOD. I only put it into OD manually. (Which is every chance I get!)

I plays up a bit coming down from OD. Dad had a new 80's ford with the same gearbox, and the manual then said to put it in overdrive when on the freeway, not for daily driving.

I take it you can't keep it into 2nd gear? (unless you push it back to first?) Prolly not good for the tranny.

I would check the fluid and filter, is there any metal shavings in it. Does the fluid smell burnt and check color.

I had similar issues (minus the noise) early on when I had too much slack in the TV cable - it wanted to get to OD as quickly as possible, then almost refused to kick down when I needed it to move out.  After I saw a video where the TV cable was simply set to 'no slack/no pressure' from the factory, I did the same to mine and it's been perfect ever since (granted, I probably don't drive mine as much as you do).

Could your TV cable adjustment have slipped its setting and gone a little slack?

Like Rob said, I would definitely look into dropping the pan to change the fluid & filter (and to observe any bits & pieces).

Good luck, Brutha!

Shit Lux, that's not good.

I know what you mean about the AOD. I only put it into OD manually. (Which is every chance I get!)

I plays up a bit coming down from OD. Dad had a new 80's ford with the same gearbox, and the manual then said to put it in overdrive when on the freeway, not for daily driving.

I take it you can't keep it into 2nd gear? (unless you push it back to first?) Prolly not good for the tranny.
i can keep it in position 2 of the stick and it'll shift 1, 2, 3 and only goes into overdrive if I put the lever on "D". I usually keep it on 2 unless I go faster but it will make noises going into overdrive. 

Hey Mike, just swap it to an NSAOD. (Not So Automatic OD) It NEEDS 3 pedals!
I've actually thought about getting a 5 speed manual but the main reason I haven't is the availability of parts. I can't find a manual trans (or even an auto one for that matter) easily. I could buy one in the US and have it shipped at high costs plus import taxes or buy from a shop in Europe .... who'd have bought it the US and had it shipped at high costs plus import..... you get the drift. 

I tell you, that AOD swap was the biggest mistake I've ever made..... I'm only keeping it because of the sunk cost fallacy..... 

I had similar issues (minus the noise) early on when I had too much slack in the TV cable - it wanted to get to OD as quickly as possible, then almost refused to kick down when I needed it to move out.  After I saw a video where the TV cable was simply set to 'no slack/no pressure' from the factory, I did the same to mine and it's been perfect ever since (granted, I probably don't drive mine as much as you do).

Could your TV cable adjustment have slipped its setting and gone a little slack?

Like Rob said, I would definitely look into dropping the pan to change the fluid & filter (and to observe any bits & pieces).

Good luck, Brutha!
I didn't touch the tv cable and it was set up properly. I can't imagine how it would slip but I guess that might have happened. I'll need to look at the oil and the filter one of these days. 
Also big thanks to Rob whom I didn't quote! ;) 

I was in exactly the same boat Mike. The cost of a nice manual from the states was a little bit too much.  But that wasn't my main deterrent for me. Because mine's converted to RHD, it would've added a lot more complexity for me to install and set it up myself.

I took the easy route and kept it auto. My real regret now is not being able to thrash it around through the gears like I did with the fmx. The AOD is really only good for cruising (OD gear) and burnouts (1st gear). Nothing in between!

Let us know what you find.

PS, what tranny oil do we use?

Correct on the Dexron/Mercon.

If the noise is limited to OD, you probably have some internal stuff going bad, since the OD is basically its own gear-reduction process (hopefully, it's just a band or clutch pack).  Refresh the memory: was the AOD new, rebuilt, or just swapped when you made the change?

It was a used one that supposedly had been rebuilt. After a year of use I've had it rebuilt again by an ATSG transmission shop but it never worked like it should. 

"AOD swap was the biggest mistake I've ever made". From your story, having both FMX and AOD, I'd say the only mistake you did was the shop choice.

If you dare open this can of rings, contact Kenneth Collins at badshoe.com, get both parts and vids there and do it yourself... 

Trannys are not that hard to rebuild.  Just need to take your time and follow the manuals or instructions if you get a cd.  I have rebuilt numerous ones over the years.  They are pretty much all the same - drums with clutch packs and bands.   You can get a rebuild kit for around $250 . The valve body and solenoids are also available at reasonable pricing.  Give you something to do in all your spare time. :whistling:

Back