351c valve covers, why so little?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 351c market is limited to a handful of consumers. The Cleveland is just not  a readily available engine platform for the most part - compared  to the Windsor-based options or Chevy SBC/BBC- based builds, there are not that many 351c engines in use out there, so not many people use them in their classic car or hot rod builds.

Other aftermarket part  availability also reflects this, for instance look at aftermarket head choice (i.e., only 3 cylinder head manufactures that I am aware of). Other engine parts choices are also reflective of this, to varying degrees. 

Another way to look at it is, the 351C was used for about 5 years, 50 years ago. The 351W was used for 30 years as recently as 20 years ago, and is still available as a Ford Racing crate engine. They are just a lot more common. It doesn't pay for a manufacturer to tool up and produce a bunch of something that may only sell a small number each year.

I don't know whether to thank you, or not. Now I've had to add one more thing to my gotta-have list, so I can compliment my Shelby intake and valve covers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello jscott

Although there are still a lot of performance parts available for the 351C, it's still not going to be like what is now offered for the 351W and 385 series big block. The '73 oil embargo and ever tightening emissions regulations help kill off this formidable engine. The '75/ 351M is a good example of what happened to this engine platform when it was "Smogged" up to meet the ever changing  emissions requirements. The 351W has been in continuous production since 1969 and has been the recipient of numerous performance upgrades over the years. Ford production installed high performance versions of the 351W in the 93-95 F150 Lightning and '95 Mustang Cobra R. Ford performance also offers stroker displacements up to 427 CI based on the W platform. It had some big shoes to fill when it was tagged to replace the 351C as the mid size performance engine. 

There are still a few 351C type valve covers available through Ford Performance. They have a couple of of tall versions that will clear stud girdles and roller rocker arms. The rest are based on the Boss 302/351 production valve covers. These production based valve covers give the flat top appearance I also like. This will give you a good ideal of what is available through Ford Performance and give you some part numbers if you want to search other sites and price shop.   https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/72/ValveCovers

Secluff since we have the Ford man here can you answer me a question about 351 W. I have I think and 85 Econoline that has a 351 HO Windsor in it. One of the high top with dual fuel tanks for a good reason. It has sat for years everyone was afraid of it with 275.000 miles on it be never a scratch. 
What is different in that engine. I did put a timing chain on but when I tore down it was good but went ahead and changed it had double roller from factory. 

Hello David,

Those were pretty good performing engines. Anything was an improvement over the 2bl and the VV (Variable Venturi) carburetors. The HO is a little misleading as they were not the same engine as the SVT engineered Lightning and 95 Cobra R engine. The air cleaner lid should of proclaimed "Somewhat HO"!

The HO designation probably came from the parts borrowed from the '80-91 Police version 351 HO. The camshaft, dual timing chain and gears, valve springs, and a few item other internal pieces were all, as the Blues Brothers would say, Cop Car Stuff! These engines all used the 4180 Holley 4bl carburetor.The '84-85 used a cast iron intake and switched to aluminum for '86-87.The '86 models had a running change to the Mustang 5.0 liter valve cover gasket which was a steel core with rubber which eliminated the always leaking cork gaskets. Another plus would be the single piece rear main seal which Ford converted to on 7/83, right at the start of '84 production. Since the car and truck line used the same block this change benefited everyone.

Since this was the '80s and '90s,(pre Coyote swap days) this was a popular swap engine for the Fox platform enthusiasts.There was a lot of parts support from SVO (now Ford Performance Parts) and the aftermarket. These engines could be made to put a bunch of Haul A$$ in a Fox vehicle. Unfortunately for the Fox folks, you could not get the spun aluminum air cleaner lid that proclaimed" 5.8 Liter 4V HO" separately. The ones that wanted to retain their 83-85 OE dual snorkel air cleaner wanted that lid since it was the same size as the GT lid. :classic_smile:

Secluff since we have the Ford man here can you answer me a question about 351 W. I have I think and 85 Econoline that has a 351 HO Windsor in it. One of the high top with dual fuel tanks for a good reason. It has sat for years everyone was afraid of it with 275.000 miles on it be never a scratch. 
What is different in that engine. I did put a timing chain on but when I tore down it was good but went ahead and changed it had double roller from factory. 

So sounds like I should pull the engine before I sell to crusher. A perfect body with no rust or damage but everyone afraid of it. 

Thanks for your knowledge of the Ford line.

So sounds like I should pull the engine before I sell to crusher. A perfect body with no rust or damage but everyone afraid of it. 
If it is one of the extended LWB vans, they are like Gold to carpet installers. They keep them till they rust away to nothing. Try listing it before you send it to the shredder.

The 300 1995 Cobra R blocks were pulled from the marine division I was always told. Something about the way they were made being slightly more robust or durable in some way or another. I have the same motor in my 1995 boat. Has GT40 heads, but a cam more similar to the Lightning's as torque is more desired in a marine application than top end HP. 

Hands down the most reliable, trouble free motor I've ever owned. Love my Windsor. 

David, is your van the extended length version? As Horsin' Around stated, the carpet companies lost their minds over the extra length Econolines. There was a waiting list for trade ins, so they didn't sit on the lot more than a day. The ones with the 4.9 300 straight six you couldn't kill. My office managers husband had one that was driven on a star route for the post office. He put over 600,000 miles on it before the body started falling off of it.

If you do decide to scrap the body, save that 351W as 275,000 miles is nothing for these new model engines. I'm sure you performed the required routine maintenance so it should be in good shape. While the Coyote engine makes some insane power, it's still an expensive swap. The 351W is still a very popular and affordable swap engine for the Fox cars. Yours being the 4bl HO version is a plus. 

Hello jscott,

Since the Ford Performance parts, M-6582-A341R are cast the same as the OE Boss 351 covers, the factory style bolts will work. The OE bolts are 1/4"-20 x 7/8" cadmium plate with a split washer. Ford's terminology for these bolts is screw and washer (Ford part# 57623-S7-8) and are no longer available through Ford parts. You could try to source these locally or try your favorite parts vendors that sell AMK products. The AMK product part# is F-483.
Those are great looking valve covers and I believe you are really going to like how they dress up your engine.    :classic_smile:

Back