What does everyone have on their Clevelands?

Right now I have ceramic coated Hooker long tubes, Then 2.5" straight all the way back to the Flowmasters, then out. So clearly no exhaust scavenging taking place. I know all the newer vehicles run X- Pipes, but I see a decent amount of H-Pipes on the older models. Whatcha Got??

Chris - Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former Mechanic U.S. Army

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

BIG RED MACH 1

Learning a lesson (or three) on the Cleveland every day.

Mine had h-pipes on it when I got it, and that is probably what I'll go with when I get it back together. H-pipes supposedly make more torque than x-pipes. Plus h-pipes do have a deeper tone and growl better. X-pipes tend to have a higher pitched, almost staccato, sound

• Like 2

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I have a 460 and am running 3" exhaust with h pipe.  Exhaust sounds great and has a nice tone to it.  As Don mentioned h pipes are suppose to produce a little more torque but less hp over x pipes.  In most cases you will not notice the difference between the two other than the sound produce.

Edited by Kilgon
  • Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

What Don C and Kilgon said. Personal preference on sound. I like the H sound. Chuck

• Like 1

I have an X pipe on mine (351C stroked to 408) and my wife has an H on hers(351W). Hers has a deeper sound than mine for sure. The best analogy I heard was

H= Nascar

X= Indy car

• Like 1

Mine is an H pipe, but I think that the main thing is the two are joined at some point to balance it all out. When I worked on air induction resonators, a perpendicular  (90 *) connection (H pipe) between the air flow direction and the resonator canister always worked better than one mounted at an angle (X pipe), if that makes any sense to anyone.

• Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

17 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

What does everyone have on their Clevelands?

Right now I have ceramic coated Hooker long tubes, Then 2.5" straight all the way back to the Flowmasters, then out. So clearly no exhaust scavenging taking place. I know all the newer vehicles run X- Pipes, but I see a decent amount of H-Pipes on the older models. Whatcha Got??

I have pretty much the same set-up, except Pypes Street Pro mufflers that came with the 2.5" stainless exhaust system.  Sounds deep and meaty to me from the driver seat and not 'brappy' at all.

I don't have any Cleveland-powered H-pipe cars around to compare with.

• Thanks 1

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

There is (or was) a video of my car in 'video walk arounds' posted earlier this year. This is with an H pipe and 2.25" Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers.

• Like 1

Geoff.

Here's what mine sounds like currently. I love the sound, but exhaust scavenging is what I'm after. My sounds is great I feel, but can't see where the H would hurt it. 

https://youtu.be/B3-S90c7R4Q

BIG RED MACH 1

3 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Here's what mine sounds like currently. I love the sound, but exhaust scavenging is what I'm after. My sounds is great I feel, but can't see where the H would hurt it. 

https://youtu.be/B3-S90c7R4Q

Sounds good. Could you have an exhaust shop graft an H pipe in?  Don't see why not. Side note, a buddy of mine has a 2000 lightweight Corvette that has a custom exhaust system he recently put on. I remember him saying that the H pipe needs to be a smaller diameter to the main tubes, so if yours are 2.5", you may only need 2" H section. Apparently there is some science involved here!!

When you drive it, do you get a high level of drone at around 2000 - 2500 rpm? If so, you might have Flowmaster 40's that are about 14" long if I remember. Mine drone so bad, the wife didn't want to be in the car. Now I have the FlowFX, she doesn't mind and even wants to drive it.

• Like 1

Geoff.

Hey Geoff, I was certainly hoping to have one graft one in. I don't get a bad drone at all. Interesting observation on the 2" diameter. I'll try to do some research on how large the cross pipe should be in relation to the main pipes. 

BIG RED MACH 1

Got an H-pipe setup from Don of OMS.

Based on the exhaust system for a BOSS 351.

Sounds like this on a 4V quench Cleveland.

mike

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Don't know, got the system from Don.

Patterned after the BOSS 351 design H-pipe.

Got the engine from Don as a rebuilt never fired

long block.  It has some "enhancements" beyond

stock Cleveland.

mike

spacer.png

I still have the one that came with my car against the wall if someone is interested. This was a 2" setup. I upgraded to 2.5" H-pipe with headers. I believe the H is one size smaller pipe.

20160809_123331.thumb.jpg.009fefb542e4f5722fefdf0b7a9c049e.jpg

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes