Paint for front spoiler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I need to paint my new front spoiler Argent or something close.  What paint is out there for plastic parts that I can use.  I see argent paint but it seems that is for the normal metal surfaces.  Not a concours car so something darn close is fine with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to paint my new front spoiler Argent or something close.  What paint is out there for plastic bumpers that I can use.  I see argent paint but it seems that is for the normal metal surfaces.  Not a concours car so something darn close is fine with me.
Look for SEM products. TRIM colors. i.e. the best paint I like to use for black detailing is SEM Trim Black. They may have a Trim Silver (Argent). Your local auto store may supply auto paints and can mix to match if you have a code number. 

Not a paint and body expert here, but here are some questions.

First,  are you talking about the front bumper or the chin spoiler?  The Chin Spoiler is a plastic material like ABS or something that handles plastic paints better.  The front bumper is a urethane molded assembly that I believe only needs a flex agent added to the paint used on the body.

Second, if you really want paint to permanently stick to a surface, make sure it is done in over spray and you were not intending for the paint to go there.  Seriously, ever notice how if you try to paint a piece of plastic the correct color it peels, cracks, fish eyes, runs, etc.  But if you didn't remove every different color piece from the body before painting, even the best lacquer thinner cannot clean the overspray off.

kcmash

Sem has their own adhesion promoter and states that unless you use their they can't guaranty their paint will adhere.  I used Dupli color adhesion promoter with Sem on all my interior panels and have had no problem.    I had a full can of duolicolor and was going to get Sem's then I checked the msds sheets and found they are both made of the same chemicals.  Duplicolor is half the price.  Your call.

I need to paint my new front spoiler Argent or something close.  What paint is out there for plastic parts that I can use.  I see argent paint but it seems that is for the normal metal surfaces.  Not a concours car so something darn close is fine with me.
Did you find a paint that work? I am looking into painting a new front spoiler in Argent as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the spoiler is ABS plastic so regular lacquer paint works. Wash really good with Dawn then lacquer thinner and just lightly hit with a scotch brite. I get the correct Argent paint from NPD myself. I do not have a picture of the can or # handy. It is the SEM paint not dye. The pic is of a before and after of a 73 parking light I did also plastic.

DSC_0945.JPG

Back