Weirdest Issue With Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mach 1
First of all, the issue I am describing does NOT effect my headlights, brakelights, or inside dome lights. They function correctly during the issue. Shortly after starting and driving (sometimes 2,3 minutes, sometime 10, 15 minutes), I experiece intermittant flashing lights. The lights that are flashing include all interior lights (dash, radio, lighter, anything that illuminates). On the outside, the tail lights and the parking lights flash. When the flashing starts, they all go at the same time. I thought I heard a click one time just as it started. Have already replaced the head light switch, have checked grounds and found issues in the tail lights which have been correct (or should have been). Issue continues. I checked the other posts and didn't see one that exactly soumded the same. Seeking ideas from all wise old owls please.

The headlight switch has two circuit breakers, one for the headlights, and the other one is for the rest of the lights. You either have a short or a bad circuit breaker in your new headlight switch. Never assume that just because it's new it is good.

One other possibility is bad grounding, causing high resistance and exceeding the current draw allowed by the circuit breaker.

It could be a bad headlight switch. Repop stuff isn't as good as original. I would say check for a short in the auxiliary/parking light circuit. I've also seen bad bulbs cause a short, so check them.

Back