More Progress

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus73Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Sports Roof.
Q code. 351-4V
C6 Auto, 3.25 Rear Axle, AC, Power steering.
The car is now at the paint shop. Should be back in a couple of weeks. I'm now getting all the interior items ready to install. Had to buy new door cards and some of the rear quarter panels. The original panels that were not damaged were painted to match the gloss of the new ones. The picture shows the old panel newly painted on the left and the new panel on the right New window seals have been fitted to the door cards and rear trims. Many of the pins on the woodgrain door panels were broken or missing. The panels themselves were still good so I put new pins in the panels. These were cut from mild steel, bent as in the pictures and secured on the back of the panel with fiberglass body filler.
spacer.png
spacer.png
The rear fold-down seat sections have also been restored and ready to install.

QP1.jpg

QP2.jpg

WGP2.jpg

WGP3.jpg

DC1.jpg

DC2.jpg

WGP1.jpg

FDS1.jpg

FDS2.jpg

FDS3.jpg

SV1.jpg

Painting finished, now for the final assembly. All interior parts are finished and ready to go back in.

20200903_125020.jpg

Thanks. I'm pleased I stayed with the original colour. Should look great once stripes, etc are done. Hopefully it should go back together fairly quickly as everything is ready to go.

Finished the boot/trunk area yesterday. Seal, lights, key lock, etc. Looks better with the wheels back on. They were stored with the car (in pieces) for 10 + years by the PO. Just a clean up and polish and they came up like new.

20200905_093006.jpg

20200905_122913.jpg

Front finished this morning, Bumper Bar, Grille, headlights, wiring harness, AC dryer & lines, etc. The bumper bar was an effort on my own but everything lined up, so all good. Now onto the roof lining.

BUT, Now realised the body shop that did the sand blasting and final disassembly sent me back the wrong front guard extensions so now it all has to come out and the correct ones installed. !!!!

20200907_120018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Paint looks great! Ryan

Up and running at last. Primed the oil and fuel and fired it up for the first time yesterday. Started on the first crank and after a slight timing adjustment, runs great. Went for a spin round the block today. Still a few things to tidy up, wheel alignment, brake bleed and check all the electrical after the complete re-wire, full tune-up etc. Took a bit longer on the final assembly as the car came in pieces and being my first Mustang, I learnt the hard way which pieces need to go in first. Some of the reproduction items also don't fit exactly but with adjustments it all came together well. One thing I was really disappointed with was the quality of the new rear window trims, They are just crap, not much better than tin foil. Does anyone make a decent reproduction? In hindsight I would have glued them in and forget about the clips.

I'll post some more of my build and some of the issues I had to overcome but for now here it is.

Sorry David for the shiny hood. :classic_smile:

20201015_133937.jpg

20201015_133854.jpg

20201015_133843.jpg

Haven't posted for a while but just saw this - great job and sure feels great when done!

Yes those window trims sound crap. Even the OEM ones have to be careful not to chip the shiny new paint like I did doh!

Should have mine back on the road this weekend after 6 months off road will be a good feeling.

Back