Sign in to follow this  
mpbsr

Double Din

I know I'm not losing my mind but I could have sworn I saw a picture of double din in our models, but now can't find the pic.

Has anyone done a mod to convert to a double din?

Thanks

Here's what I came up with by searching "double din" (with the quotation marks)

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/33814-71-double-din-dvd-with-back-up-camera/?tab=comments#comment-347407

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/19846-73-vert-audio/?tab=comments#comment-204391

It looks like there have been a few, but nobody has taken the time for a nice writeup, maybe you?

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

What the @#$%^& is a  double din? I cant go to bed thinking of this all night  :-)

The regular old AM radio that fit in our dashes is called a single DIN, about 2" x 7" (50mm x180mm). The double DIN is twice as tall, 100mm x 180mm.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, machattack said:

What the @#$%^& is a  double din? I cant go to bed thinking of this all night  :-)

Sleep well knowing that it can be done without hacking the dash.  Just the sacrifice of a radio bezel, which they repop these days.

If the day ever comes I put a radio into my car I’d consider it.  The double Din Alpine I put in the wife-mobile continues to impress me.

45 minutes ago, Bentworker said:

Sleep well knowing that it can be done without hacking the dash.  Just the sacrifice of a radio bezel, which they repop these days.

If the day ever comes I put a radio into my car I’d consider it.  The double Din Alpine I put in the wife-mobile continues to impress me.

Huh, Thanks for the teachings :-) that was driving me nuts. I have a original style radio in my wifes 71 mach but have thought many times that I should change it out to a modern style with better bells and whistles. Now I know the solution.......thanks 

Here's a double din I have installed in my 03 Jeep TJ.

I even had a Parrot Bluetooth phone system (as our steering wheels doesn't have radio controls) installed and heated seats. 

I was able to purchase an aftermarket radio trim piece for the dash...no cutting up. 

DoubleDin.jpg

I read the reviews on that piece and they arent very good. Most people are saying to buy the repop piece which is metal, and then just do the required cutting to let you use a more modern head unit. 

• Thanks 1

I purchase the Ken Harrison single DIN replacement from CJ and wasn't real thrilled with it. It's pretty flimsy and the fit is a little off. I decided to use it cause I didn't want to cut the original or buy a repop and then hack it up. All in all it's just OK.

Mike