Need NON-ethanol gas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Hi, is there anyone in the general area of Quakertown, PA  that knows where i can get gas without ethanol?  i know the Wawa up by I80 has it

but that is a little too far to go for gas.  Thanks for the help.

BTW, for those of you who were helping me with the idling/stumbling problem, whoever said vacuum leak wins, every carburetor gasket was leaking.

rebuilt the carb and it runs fine now.

Thomas 

Along with the non ethanol gas I use the Lucas gas additive to replace the lead in the gas. My 351 C is bored .050" over with flat top pistons, cam, MSD, 2-V heads withe 4-V performer intake. Automatic, AC with stock Ford radiator. I have no issues with over heat in 90 deg. + weather with AC. I do run a 195 deg thermostat made for the Cleveland and the stock baffle in the block. I did put a Hayden fan cooled transmission cooler on and took the transmission lines out of the radiator.
Usually a Sunoco station has non ethanol.

I have no issues with over heat in 90 deg. + weather with AC. . I did put a Hayden fan cooled transmission cooler on and took the transmission lines out of the radiator.

I never thought of this.

I'd like to know more about how you installed the tranny cooler ? How do you remove the lines from the radiator ?

With the AC on, I do have overheat issues idling at traffic lights if in a town (as compared to one here and there) and am wondering if installing  something like this would help ?

thanks

I made two brackets that used factory installed nuts or fasteners. I folded up thick single layer cardboard to make my pattern then made the brackets. It is mounted down low in front of the radiator on the R.H. side. I can get some pics tomorrow lost what I had in computer crash. I used a Hayden fan cooled and put a manual switch to turn on under the hood. I always unhook my battery when out of car. You can get plugs for the radiator. i made new lines to get to about the radiator support and then flex lines to the cooler.

Believe it or not, you can actually remove the ethanol from regular fuel pretty easily.  If you take a gallon of gas and mix it with approximately 8 ounces of water, give it a good shake and let it settle, the water will pull the ethanol out and settle to the bottom.  You can then drain that water/ethanol mix from the bottom and you are left with pure gasoline.

Now, a couple of caveats.  This will reduce the octane rating of the leftover gas.  So you will probably need to add an octane booster if you plan to use it in your vehicle.  Also, playing around with gas can be dangerous, so proceed with caution.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of gas stations that sell ethanol-free premium within 2 miles of my house so that's what I use. I burn it in my lawnmowers, snowblower, boat, etc. But if I wanted to use gas with ethanol in it in the Mustang what would I have to do besides change out any rubber fuel lines with ethanol resistant ones? I have replaced the original intake manifold and carb already.

Mike

I have been using mid grade E-10 for many years with no ill effects. I probably drive mine as much or more than anyone on this site at 7 to 10k a year. That admittedly may help. The only modification I've made to the fuel system is to upgrade the rubber fuel hoses under the hood. I only see a reason for ethanol free fuel when the car will be in long term storage.

Believe it or not, you can actually remove the ethanol from regular fuel pretty easily.  If you take a gallon of gas and mix it with approximately 8 ounces of water, give it a good shake and let it settle, the water will pull the ethanol out and settle to the bottom.  You can then drain that water/ethanol mix from the bottom and you are left with pure gasoline.

Now, a couple of caveats.  This will reduce the octane rating of the leftover gas.  So you will probably need to add an octane booster if you plan to use it in your vehicle.  Also, playing around with gas can be dangerous, so proceed with caution.
Nice car, sounds great!

If getting Ethanol free gas is a major problem in your area, then ethanol proof your car. As mentioned, use Fuel Injector rubber hose where needed. Newer carbs are usually good for ethanol up to 15%, Holley's anyway,. While you're at it, it might be a good idea to replace the steel fuel lines with SS. Kits can be bought from tank to pump, but I had to make my own 3/8" line to the carb and make an adaptor at the new pump, no big deal though. I went overboard and replaced the tank as well as there was a lot of rust getting in the filters. Also, please use correct fuel line clamps, NO GEAR CLAMPS!!

So, in a nut shell, if you have ethanol resistant rubber lines, a clean rust free tank and lines, a newer carb and fuel pump, you should have no worries using 10% ethanol gas. 

I got some pics of the cooler install and the one I used. I was able to fab up two brackets one mounted to the radiator support and the other goes to the center grill and hood latch bracket. They both used the factory holes so I did not drilling and did not have to add anything that was not already there. 

The hard lines coming from the transmission in my car had been altered so I just added a barbed hose connection just behind the radiator support and ran flex hose through existing hole in the radiator support. I use the fuel injection hose clamps they are smooth and do not mess up hose. The cooler came with two barbed connectors if I remember correct. I just put a toggle switch down under it and put a fuse connector at the solenoid. I always unhook my battery so have to go under hood anyway. You could put a switch inside if you wanted. I got a couple brass plugs for the hook up to the radiator to close them off. I figure will help keep the trans cooler and take that heat of the radiator also. The return line is cool when I check it. Don't remember who I ordered from. 

20200807_132304.jpg

20200807_132313.jpg

20200807_132325.jpg

20200807_132332.jpg

20200807_132338.jpg

20200807_132400.jpg

20200807_132838.jpg

20200807_132853.jpg

20200807_132930.jpg

Hi, is there anyone in the general area of Quakertown, PA  that knows where i can get gas without ethanol?  i know the Wawa up by I80 has it

but that is a little too far to go for gas.  Thanks for the help.

BTW, for those of you who were helping me with the idling/stumbling problem, whoever said vacuum leak wins, every carburetor gasket was leaking.

rebuilt the carb and it runs fine now.

Thomas 
Hi,

If you treat ethanol gas with marine Stabil 360 it is suppose to neutralize the Ethanol in the gas. It also will stabilize the fuel for 6 months or so. The stabilizer in stabil works well. But many varying factors to how long it will last such as direct sun or shaded fuel container. Heat seems to break it down stabilizers in gas quicker.  

Hi,

If you treat ethanol gas with marine Stabil 360 it is suppose to neutralize the Ethanol in the gas. It also will stabilize the fuel for 6 months or so. The stabilizer in stabil works well. But many varying factors to how long it will last such as direct sun or shaded fuel container. Heat seems to break it down stabilizers in gas quicker.  
Project Farm on YouTube did a test on various fuel stabilizers and ethanol  several months back.  You can watch it here:

The short version is, while stabilizers may extend the shelf life of fuel with ethanol, there is no product that can neutralize ethanol and it's damaging effects.

There is only ONE way to neutralize Ethanol in gasoline and that is NOT to put it in in the first place.

If you look at it from the Oil company's point of view, if there is 10% Ethanol added, then they are saving 10% gasoline, so it adds up to huge savings on oil cost. I don't have facts and figures, but that's the logic my brain sees. It's all about money, nothing to do with the environment or performance, or........

If one HAS to buy Ethanol laced fuel, then prepare your car to suit as best you can. That way you're covered either way. 

4 hours ago, trillizo_y_uno said:

Project Farm on YouTube did a test on various fuel stabilizers and ethanol  several months back.  You can watch it here:

Well now........you call this guy a scientist? certainly did NOT do this as a scientific test. How much stabilizer was used? where was the product test conducted? was the air in the jar 100% pure oxygen? or was it contaminated?   What was the ambient heat surrounding the test jars?  He used aluminum so he says. You sure? This guy wouldn't know true aluminum from magnesium 2 totally different metallurgy's and each reacts differently from each other when when tested. Is your carb housing aluminum? or magnesium?  This test is bogus, I see NO evidence that it was indeed the stabilizer "not" neutralizing the ethanol. 

You can take un-coated aluminum or magnesium and expose it to the ambient air and it will corrode with white covering it. Im sure many folks on here have seen this. This is due to various materials in our atmosphere" it is not from ethanol".  Didnt use ethanol back in the 60s in our auto fuels,  and the carbs still corroded internal in the bowl floats. 

I agree with Stanglover that the best is not to put ethanol in anything. We all know why its done......to make more money.  

Back