351M Headers .... help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it an "M" code 351 (Cleveland) engine, or an actual 351M? Two different engines, but very similar. If it is a 351M do you know how it got in the car?

A 351C "M" code came with 4V heads and requires 4V headers.

It came from factory that way. I was told that when I bought it and  I looked it up through the VIN. Its a 351M 2 valve engine. When I read about it, it says it's a tall deck - I'm concerned with clearances if I use a standard 351C header. 

2V and 4V on older engines does not refer to the number of valves in each cylinder, but the number of venturies (barrels) in the carburetor. 

The 5th character in your car's VIN (vehicle identification number) will tell you what engine came in your car. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Step one, make sure you know what you have, note the "wall" on the 351M block. If it's not there, you have a 351C

View attachment 43541
Thanks for the PIC, it's helpful! Looks like I have the "wall" you circled on your picture up by the distributor making it a 351M engine. 

View album “Mustang Mach 1”.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, definitely not from the factory that way. Now, the 64 thousand dollar question, is it a 351M or a 400? If it has a casting number from '71, '73, or '74 (begins with D1, D3, or D4) it is likely a 400. A casting number for '75, '77 or '78 (D5, D7, or D8) means it could be either one.  And, then if it's a 400, big block or small block bellhousing?

Back