WTB - see pic

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's the standard configuration for that switch (mine's the same).  :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised that so many of those (as well as 'vert top switches) are broken off.  I installed a small toggle switch in pretty much the same place to kick on my '82 Mustang's electric fan when the relay went bad, and broke it off twice getting in and out of the car before I finally got smart(er) and installed an illuminated rocker switch.  Should've just replaced the dang relay... but no... I was WAY smarter than that when I was in my early 20s. :whistling:

Didn’t Don with OMS say you can swap the knob from a convertible top switch? 

1sostatic,

This goes to show what a dedicated and true friend you are. Not everyone would be so helpful as to help a friend find a missing knob!

I do not have this problem on my '71s since there is no defrost or vert switch in that location. As Eric just testified that is is also a bad location for the 79-86 Fox Mustangs. I have long legs so more than once my knee hit the headlight switch in my '85 GT and broke the plastic retaining nut. I finally ordered extra retaining nuts since it seemed I could not be retrained and it continued to be a recurring problem. 

To my knowledge the defrost switch is not reproduced at this time. There is a fix that does not involve purchasing a rare and expensive original switch. The '71-73 vert top switch is being reproduced and can be sourced for the control knob which will fit the defrost switch. I would check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply. His online store currently shows out of stock, but would not hurt to contact him. If you want to search on line for other sources the Ford  part# is D1ZZ-15668-A.  

jb73Mach had posted a video on replacing the broken knob with a donor vert switch. If the link does not work you can use the search window as I have had some problems with some of my links not working lately.   

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/15589-broken-rear-defrost-switch-replacement/?tab=comments#comment-162018

Hello mjlan,

The knobs on the rear defrost and power top switches are identical in appearance. The rear defrost switch is not being reproduced and the majority of the OE switches seem to have a broken/missing knob.  :whistling: As expected, undamaged OE switches normally bring premium prices. If anyone has a deal to fall through on one you can always refer to the link in my above post. The video was posted by jb73mach and is the 6th post down.

The picture is an original DIZZ-18578-B rear defrost switch.

18578-d1zz-b1.jpeg

I have a couple cars with defroster and yes I broke mine off early on. I went to Ford in probably late 70's and ordered everyone that was on dealership shelves. I think I got 4. 
Yes you can buy the vert switch take apart and use the lever from it. I also have 5 verts. So you learn how to get in and not break them. I broke mine by stepping in first and swing my body into the seat. Pants leg caught on the lever. So now I sit down in the seat with both feet still on the ground and then swing around in the seat and get feet in. 

My car came with the defroster knob intact. I broke it off getting into the seat one day. Wasn't very happy.

Mike
In this case 

I'm going to use my engineering skillz to make these out of Peterbilt push pulls - but with Mustang tops (see photo shopped image) - but you get the idea

I'm an engineer - I can overcome any obstacle. 

Defrost copy.jpg

I like it.. Might be overkill, but i like it.

Being a software engineer that might be out of my skill set. 

Mike
I think Ford threw it in as a knee jerk afterthought - instead of maintaining the same style as the other switches ... the switch I'll put in may not be original - but at least the dash styling when I've finished will be. 

Back