71 Mach 1 restoration Part 3

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, the more I see that car, the more I realize you have a gem.  You might not realize it based on the current condition, but you have an awesome base to work with.  With such little rust compared to most cars, it's not going to take a lot to get things fixed up.  As others have mentioned, being a 429 car, you are going to end up with a high value car at the end of the day.  Don't cut out good metal needlessly and when you weld in the patches, use proper butt welds, etc.  And as I suspected, your cowl doesn't appear that bad.  It appeared you only had a small rusted out area at the base of the hat.  Should be possible to repair it from the bottom.

Also, sorry if I missed it, but you have the matching motor and toploader, right?  Do you mind sharing how much you paid?

Honestly, the more I see that car, the more I realize you have a gem.  You might not realize it based on the current condition, but you have an awesome base to work with.  With such little rust compared to most cars, it's not going to take a lot to get things fixed up.  As others have mentioned, being a 429 car, you are going to end up with a high value car at the end of the day.  Don't cut out good metal needlessly and when you weld in the patches, use proper butt welds, etc.  And as I suspected, your cowl doesn't appear that bad.  It appeared you only had a small rusted out area at the base of the hat.  Should be possible to repair it from the bottom.

Also, sorry if I missed it, but you have the matching motor and toploader, right?  Do you mind sharing how much you paid?
I feel like theres definitely been worse rust buckets out there that amazing people have brought back to life so i can appreciate what i have for sure. However, the rust repair always sucks. but i gotta keep going. I def want to do things the right way and not cut out more metal than i need. but yeah the cowl is not completely rotted through compared to some ive seen.ive definitley been trying to figured out how i can go about and patch it. at this point i supposed it doesnt hurt to try, and if i cant at least i know i can get a replacement.

i have not advertised price i bought it for due to others on this site that were interested in the rig and i wanted to be respectful to them and the seller but i will say more than 5 less than 10. 

Thanks for watching and giving your input!

I feel like theres definitely been worse rust buckets out there that amazing people have brought back to life so i can appreciate what i have for sure. However, the rust repair always sucks. but i gotta keep going. I def want to do things the right way and not cut out more metal than i need. but yeah the cowl is not completely rotted through compared to some ive seen.ive definitley been trying to figured out how i can go about and patch it. at this point i supposed it doesnt hurt to try, and if i cant at least i know i can get a replacement.

i have not advertised price i bought it for due to others on this site that were interested in the rig and i wanted to be respectful to them and the seller but i will say more than 5 less than 10. 

Thanks for watching and giving your input!
Man, that's a steal either way!  Can't fault a guy for taking advantage of a good deal when he finds one.  Do you also have the matching numbers drivetrain?  Or are the motor and transmission not original to the car?

Man, that's a steal either way!  Can't fault a guy for taking advantage of a good deal when he finds one.  Do you also have the matching numbers drivetrain?  Or are the motor and transmission not original to the car?
Sorry I forgot to reply yes and yes. OG engine and tranny! 
the engine is at the machine shop and tranny is on my bench I’m getting ready to clean and re seal :) and paint 

Sorry I forgot to reply yes and yes. OG engine and tranny! 
the engine is at the machine shop and tranny is on my bench I’m getting ready to clean and re seal :) and paint 
That is awesome.  Looking forward to seeing the restoration unfold.  It is certainly worth your while to restore it as original as possible.  Based on what you paid and the condition, you are in line for a nice pay day down the road if you do decide to sell it.

Seems like an awful lot of effort to sand, strip and scrape when you are having the car blasted anyway

Seems like an awful lot of effort to sand, strip and scrape when you are having the car blasted anyway
I may not of made it as clear in the videos but I’m doing the outside panels by hand. The interior and engine bay will get blasted. 

I don’t want to risk damaging the sheet metal which is why I doing that by hand. 

Just watched all four vids, thanks for sharing!

I like what you said at the end of nr 4; just set small goals and tackle one at a time.

Enjoy your car!

V.

Just watched part 3 and 4, great progress! Also, I like your choice in music. Ryan

Back