Installing front fenders

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

I'm getting ready to install the front fenders. I got these fender to bumper filler pieces and I don't know how they go on. 

I'm sure someone here knows exactly what I need to do,  so please help me out. 

All I find in the assembly manual is below.

The part that came in has a 2 screws, a bracket with 2 holes, and the part has 4 holes.  I see how the bracket goes i think, but its only held in by 1 screw apparently, unless something else bolts to or thru it.  The diagram only shows the 1 screw per part.

any help on how to put this on would be fantastic.  Especially with pictures.

fendertobumperfiller2.jpg

fendertobumperfiller3.jpg

Is this right for the bracket? Or does it go on the other side  of the rubber flap.

fendertobumperfiller4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well thats something at least.  Im going to go check it out in a few.  Maybe I can take some pictures on what we decide so maybe someone else will know in the future.  Its only on cars with a chrome bumper.

You are looking at the wrong diagram.  The piece you are holding goes on the front of the fender between the fender and chrome bumper.  The diagram you are looking t is for a filler on early 71's back by the cowl area.  See the pics below.  The rubber is for chrome bumpers only and gets sandwich between the flat bracket and the fender.  Best I can do for you without putting it on.  Better yet - you live in Florida so I'm on my way.  :biggrin:

Edited - I forgot to mention that there is a screw that goes in to the fender extension.  You can see the hole in the top of the rubber for it.  

20200813_173728_resized.jpg

@Kilgon

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  its good to know that drawing wasnt for this part.  It kinda looks similar, but I couldnt make heads or tails out of it. Im running a chrome bumper so I need them.

I got by the painters place yesterday to look at it and we figured out how to mount it.  

Im just really curious why the kit only comes with 2 screws when it clearly needs 6.

I was uncertain about putting them on since they were grey.  I thought, well they must make black ones for black stripe cars and Grey ones for Argent stripe cars.  But that assumption was incorrect.  According to OMS Don, they only made them in Grey.  So im taking them back to the painter today to put on.  I just have to go to Ace Hardware and get 4 more screws that at least are close to the 2 that came with it.  I also noticed there is another hole that lines up with a hole in the grill too, but im not going to try to attach it to the grill.

@Kilgon

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  its good to know that drawing wasnt for this part.  It kinda looks similar, but I couldnt make heads or tails out of it. Im running a chrome bumper so I need them.

I got by the painters place yesterday to look at it and we figured out how to mount it.  

Im just really curious why the kit only comes with 2 screws when it clearly needs 6.

I was uncertain about putting them on since they were grey.  I thought, well they must make black ones for black stripe cars and Grey ones for Argent stripe cars.  But that assumption was incorrect.  According to OMS Don, they only made them in Grey.  So im taking them back to the painter today to put on.  I just have to go to Ace Hardware and get 4 more screws that at least are close to the 2 that came with it.  I also noticed there is another hole that lines up with a hole in the grill too, but im not going to try to attach it to the grill.
No problem.  We are here to help each other.  I think if it wasn't for the bracket you wouldn't get any screws.  Make sure you post some pictures as you make progress on your build.

Back