Getting confused, is Ford type F ATF fluid used in both the tranny and power steering or is there a seperate type F for each???????????

That makes it easy and now I know why I cannot find type F power steering fluid..........need to look at the tranny isle.

FYI - Latet NPD catalog has Motorcraft Transmission Fluid Type F in one quart bottles for $5.27 each (part #19582-2)

Mac

I don't specifically buy "FORD" type F, but as long as it meets Ford type F transmission fluid standards and is labeled as Ford type F trans fluid, there should be no problem. It also is REDish in color. Any good auto store will carry it.

Edited by Stanglover
  • Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Ive actually found where I am its harder to come by Type F. I had to go to a few places before I found it, so I bought everything they had (8L). Gotta stock up for when I go to do my convertor this winter. 

Odd this subject came up about ford tranny fluids.

I  was at a garage sale only because I saw a mustang sitting there ( looked like a 69). I wandered through in a hurry to get to the mustang sighting. Sitting close to it was 4 cases stacked up of the old type f tranny fluid in cans. You know the one where you punched the spout into the top of the can. So........ I bought all 4 cases and thought what the heck will I do with all these? turns out the family has a bunch of old fords.......now I gotta hide some of it :cool:

• Like 1

Hello jscott,                                                                            

Another area where you get various answers for the same question dependent on the store you are in. At one time Ford did have a premium P/S fluid that was sold alongside the transmission fluid. Before it was eventually discontinued it was packaged in a 12oz long neck bottle which made it easy to pour into a P/S pump and vert top reservoirs. To find the Ford fluid use Motorcraft Part# XT-1-QF. I know of several local parts stores that sell Motorcraft and usually have a few bottles of it.
As Geoff posted you don't necessarily have to buy the Ford/Motorcraft fluid, just make sure what you purchase meets Ford specification EWS M2C33-F

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

was in Napa the other day and they had their brand, F type for older Fords so I bought that.

3 hours ago, jscott said:

was in Napa the other day and they had their brand, F type for older Fords so I bought that.

Perfect! Another job done.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!