I hate the new format. Might bring in more money with the links but I can find nothing.

Question

I liked the old site better too. Still can't get used to this new one. I'm on many different boards for many different things, and I thought the old 71-73 site was PERFECT. Best of them out there. 

• Like 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I'll just say "New" doesn't always equate to "Better". I sorely miss the "todays posts" from the old format. The old search function was easier to use as well. I find myself becoming frustrated by my

Sorry guys, we were just at the point where we had to move!  The old site was up to date but there were 10 years of updates and orphaned code and old databases just stuck together by a string!  Plus M

I created this custom content list and then added it to my browser's favorites. This is where I go everyday to check the latest posts. I hated it as well before I figured how to change the contents. I

Posted Images

I also agree. I'm not on here nearly as much anymore. 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

044.jpg

Well, there are many things I LIKE better and some I don't. This is not meant as a reflection on Rocketfoot or the massive amount of work he and others have done to try to bring us the most up to date forum possible. Overall, I think he has achieved that and should be congratulated. Now here's the BUT.

I do not like the Content list as it is. With the old one, the latest post in a thread topic was visible, click on it and all the former posts were there, nice and tidy like. Now, everything is all over the place and I find myself scanning through a million post to find what I want. Using the "unread content" is somewhat easier, but still not optimal.

Also, there is now way too much unrelated "fluff" that I do not care for nor wish to look at, but that could just be me and MY taste.

So, overall, I really think it is better, but needs a bit of house cleaning to make it perfect. And yes, this post is not really in the correct section either.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I can understand where David is coming from.   I can't say I don't like this new program itself but the fact that there are a lot of features that  I just don't know how to use or setup and it will take sometime to figure out.  I found that I could go to "Content" - " My Active Streams" - "Custom Streams" and setup one that shows "Recent Post"  just like the old site.  Since there is no "User Manual or Help Guide" it will take some time to figure out some of the features and functions.  It would be nice if there was a page where there were some example on how to do some of these type of things.  And yes- as Stanglover said this post in not in the correct section.  

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

I'll just say "New" doesn't always equate to "Better". I sorely miss the "todays posts" from the old format. The old search function was easier to use as well. I find myself becoming frustrated by my inability to use the various functions and just log off. Chuck

• Like 2

I'm not enjoying it much either, I have changed to the black background but I really do miss the old site.  

I will say the new format is way better on a mobile device.  

I have not had much luck with the new search tool.  Not sure if I just don’t know how to use it or if it is using bingo wheel result sorting tech.

Sorry guys, we were just at the point where we had to move!  The old site was up to date but there were 10 years of updates and orphaned code and old databases just stuck together by a string!  Plus MyBB was getting ready to upgrade to a whole new design that would have destroyed the custom themes and app that we were running.  If I didn't update...hackers would take over in months!

I know change sucks but this software is one of the best and safest in the business!  In a few months, I will be upgrading to the new version of this software that will clean up some of the clutter and add a few nice features like referrals, better search and easier posting!  It will look much the same but cleaner, more organized and it will flow better.  Once upgraded, I can add a few other big apps that are available but I really want to keep this new site close to OEM so we can upgrade without worrying about apps and features breaking or data disappearing like it did on MyBB. 

It's different but all I ask is jump in...use it and you will be surprised how normal it will feel to you in short order! 

As far as searching, the search engines are still crawling over the new URL formats so search will be better soon!  It takes time to re-archive everything!

Again...I am really sorry you guys aren't enjoying the new software as much as I thought you would but trust me, the more you use it, the more you will appreciate it!

Also, if you have problems doing something on the forums...let me know!  I'll be glad to walk you through it and maybe even write up a tutorial to post for everyone!

• Like 2

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Bentworker said:

I will say the new format is way better on a mobile device.  

I have not had much luck with the new search tool.  Not sure if I just don’t know how to use it or if it is using bingo wheel result sorting tech.

This was a BIG bonus too...more than 70% of our traffic is on phones and tablets!  MyBB did not have any decent responsive themes for phones!  This software has an amazing default theme with near perfect phone/tablet themes built in! 

spacer.png

If there's one thing I've learned over the past 20+ years of frequenting internet forums (and running a few of my own), it's that "no 2 forums are alike," and "if you don't keep up with the updates, you'll lose control in a hurry."

Barry saw the writing on the wall with MyBB and took the initiative to move over to the new platform, which in the IT world, is a Herculean undertaking - think of it like taking the biggest salvage yard in a big city and moving it across town - some things might get lost along the way or just left behind, but eventually everybody will figure out where the things they could go straight to at the old place are now located.  Just takes a little time.

I can also agree that I too, liked the old format better... but that's mostly because we had it so long that it just got comfortable.  When we first started with it, nobody knew where everything was and had to do a little exploring to find it all.  We'll all get used to it eventually, because that's what we do with these things.  For instance, I know I hated when the TV format went from 4:3 to 16:9, but now I can't even really remember how limited it used to be.

Lastly, I don't use mobile devices - period.  I do all my online stuff from a proper computer, because that's what I prefer.  However, I can certainly understand the convenience and familiarity that most people have in using mobile devices, and can also appreciate the ability for the site to be flexible enough to support all of the current technologies out there - it opens our little community up to greater opportunity to expand and enjoy having more friends with similar interests.

Hang in there, guys.  It really is all for the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I miss the today posts tab more than anything else.  Not being able to only look at what is new has kept me away for the most part.  I understand and appreciate the need to change.  But change is hard for old farts

• Like 1

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

I created this custom content list and then added it to my browser's favorites. This is where I go everyday to check the latest posts. I hated it as well before I figured how to change the contents. It is now working for me. However, I don't know if this link would work for other users. Give it a try.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/discover/11/?&stream_date_type=relative&stream_date_relative_days[val]=365&stream_date_relative_days[unit]=d&stream_classes[IPS\forums\Topic]=1&stream_classes[IPS\calendar\Event]=1&stream_classes[IPS\blog\Entry]=1

Edit: for search I always used google. It works better for me. The link below is also saved to my favorites. It forces Google to only look in this forum. However, most of the search result links point to the other website and it doesn't work with the new site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A7173mustangs.com&oq=site%3A7173mustangs.com&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58j69i59.9663j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by tony-muscle
  • Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

2 hours ago, Jeff73Mach1 said:

I miss the today posts tab more than anything else.  Not being able to only look at what is new has kept me away for the most part.  I understand and appreciate the need to change.  But change is hard for old farts

IPB uses a timeline...if you click all activity, it actually breaks down everything that happened by the past hour, day and even yesterday...it's tabbed on the left hand side of the activity results.  The icons also tell you if it was a post or topic and it shows gallery posts and stuff too!  Personally, I think the All Activities content search is the best!  I also use Unread Content all the time!  That keeps you up to date but if you miss something, you can always hit the ALl Activity link to see everything!

10 minutes ago, tony-muscle said:

I created this custom content list and then added it to my browser's favorites. This is where I go everyday to check the latest posts. I hated it as well before I figured how to change the contents. It is now working for me. However, I don't know if this link would work for other users. Give it a try.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/discover/11/?&stream_date_type=relative&stream_date_relative_days[val]=365&stream_date_relative_days[unit]=d&stream_classes[IPS\forums\Topic]=1&stream_classes[IPS\calendar\Event]=1&stream_classes[IPS\blog\Entry]=1

Edit: for search I always used google. It works better for me. The link below is also saved to my favorites. It forces Google to only look in this forum. However, most of the search result links point to the other website and it doesn't work with the new site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A7173mustangs.com&oq=site%3A7173mustangs.com&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58j69i59.9663j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I just added the Google Custom Site Search back in today!  It only focuses on info inside the forum pages!

spacer.png

I like seeing what has happened in the last day or two, so I use Content/My Activity Streams/Recent/2 days.

I miss the old search, where you could enter the subject you wanted to search for and do it by member. I often remember a subject and the member that initiated it, like hood templates and David's rubbing of them, Stanglover and brakes, Bentworker and steering gears, Fabrice and plating or radiator filler panel, and so on. Makes it easier to find something when the rest can be filtered out.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Don C said:

I like seeing what has happened in the last day or two, so I use Content/My Activity Streams/Recent/2 days.

I miss the old search, where you could enter the subject you wanted to search for and do it by member. I often remember a subject and the member that initiated it, like hood templates and David's rubbing of them, Stanglover and brakes, Bentworker and steering gears, Fabrice and plating or radiator filler panel, and so on. Makes it easier to find something when the rest can be filtered out.

Have you tried the advanced search page? 

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/search/

You can search pretty much anything in the forum!

The link is found under the Content Tab up top > SEARCH

spacer.png

No, I hadn't checked into that one, that's just what I was looking for. I guess I assumed that it was the same as the search box in the Header, shame on me, we all know what assume stands for, ASS-me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

10 minutes ago, Don C said:

No, I hadn't checked into that one, that's just what I was looking for. I guess I assumed that it was the same as the search box in the Header, shame on me, we all know what assume stands for, ASS-me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem!  Questions are good!  When people ask how to do something, I can post a quick tutorial or at least point them in the right direction!  First we gotta figure out what needs taught!

spacer.png

Hell, I'm still trying to get used to color television, being so used to watching in black and white.  What's this rigmarole about HD and digital TV?  Lucy: you have a lot of 'splaining to do!

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

Flamicon2.jpg

http://www.7173mustangs.com/banners/oldfart.png

I agree that I too cannot get used to the new format. I have not been on very much since the change over. I have tried and tried....

Thanks, Jay

Takes time to adjust but get used to it, here to stay.

Like he said, the old software was outdated, no way to fix.

I like it.

mike

spacer.png

I most say i'm not a fan of this format. Frankly I'm lost. I have been here pretty much form the beginning and never had a problem navigating the old format. 

I will keep trying.

- Mike

I'm 99% mobile and I gotta say it's a billion times better. It was practically impossible to use this site before. 

I use another major forum (way way way larger than this one) that uses the same Invision forum setup. Works very well over there. Just takes time to get it all flowing smoothly. 

Edited by Widowmaker00
  • Fist Bump 1

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

The old software is like me the old format and not way to update. When working and was engineering manager I required all my engineers to start using CAD to develop stamping process. I had one great tooling engineer quit before he would even try. He did the paper dolls and would not change. I try to change but not easy at 72 to learn new and retain.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Its definitely got a learning curve, I'm still trying to find everything.  I miss the shortcuts that show today's content.  I can get it now its just not as convenient as it was.

"I drank what?" - Socrates