I hate the new format. Might bring in more money with the links but I can find nothing.

Question

I liked the old site better too. Still can't get used to this new one. I'm on many different boards for many different things, and I thought the old 71-73 site was PERFECT. Best of them out there. 

• Like 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I'll just say "New" doesn't always equate to "Better". I sorely miss the "todays posts" from the old format. The old search function was easier to use as well. I find myself becoming frustrated by my

Sorry guys, we were just at the point where we had to move!  The old site was up to date but there were 10 years of updates and orphaned code and old databases just stuck together by a string!  Plus M

I created this custom content list and then added it to my browser's favorites. This is where I go everyday to check the latest posts. I hated it as well before I figured how to change the contents. I

Posted Images

On 8/5/2020 at 4:17 AM, turtle5353 said:

I also agree. I'm not on here nearly as much anymore. 

Ditto

Sooooo, the debate continues! By now, I would have thought this discussion would have been shifted to "Site News", but alas, it's still here.

Are there thing I don't like about the new format, absolutely, but guess what, it's still the best Mustang forum I've found and I'll continue to support it, period. I just think that we need to accept it as it is and hope that some tweaks can be done to smooth things out as time goes by and our admins have a chance to learn as they go also.

For me and as I've said before, my hang-up is sorting through the long list in "Content", but I'm dealing with it. If we have to be critical, lets make it constructive.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Not that I like change either ... It's like everything in IT, it evolves ... we like the old one because we were used to it .. but I bet there were many iterations going through the years to improve that version. 

This new one, as I understand it, provides the upgrade-ability; as it sits with later code. So would suspect this would go through the same evolution to enhance capability. Perhaps some constructive option requests. 

Edited by 1sostatic
  • Like 1

wizzy.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=7211]Visit My Treasure chest[/button]

The new format is like a Glock pistol. At first you hate it and after a while you get used to it. Chuck

• Like 1

I don't always like upgrades, either, but it goes along with using a computer. Even programs like Outlook have tweaks occasionally. 

I'm getting used to it, after being directed to the correct Search I'm starting to like it. 

One thing would be nice, though, and that is if the posts, in a thread, could be numbered like the old one was, makes it a lot easier to reference a post in a multi-page thread.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

19 minutes ago, Don C said:

I don't always like upgrades, either, but it goes along with using a computer. Even programs like Outlook have tweaks occasionally. 

I'm getting used to it, after being directed to the correct Search I'm starting to like it. 

One thing would be nice, though, and that is if the posts, in a thread, could be numbered like the old one was, makes it a lot easier to reference a post in a multi-page thread.

I can check into permalink numbers for posts or maybe even a bookmark system that allows you to bookmark individual posts or even images in the gallery? 

• Like 1

spacer.png

You can click on the time posted timestamp and it will give you a permalink URL that you can copy and paste but the individual post numbers are gone because this software has a lot of options for hidden/unapproved posts that would through the post counts off.  Members may see 3 post while Mods see 7 posts for example. 

I'll look into the bookmark application as soon as it is upgraded to the current version. It looks like it would be a great for for us here!

Here is what happens when you copy and paste a permalink into a post...It make a nice standout link to that individual post!

spacer.png

1 hour ago, c9zx said:

The new format is like a Glock pistol. At first you hate it and after a while you get used to it. Chuck

Wouldn't know. We're not allowed to play with dangerous toys here in Canada. Someone might get hurt!!

Geoff.

Hi Rocketfoot,  I like the new update, but I've only been member for a year so I haven't been using the old site that long.  Couple of questions about non Google search

1. Can you give an example of using Tags in search?

2.  I was thinking Tags could be used for Boolean 'AND' during a search. I tried using Tags Oil , Sender to refine a search so that only posts with those two words are returned. I also tried to explicitly use AND  between Oil AND Sender with and without quotes.  Any ideas on using Boolean operations?

Thx

I tried that, too, without much success. I found that using (in your example) "oil sender", in quotations, gave me better results. Using the Search function in the Content tab seems to give fairly good results, more capable than the old format.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Google search works the best for me.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

14 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

Google search works the best for me.

Today I used the new search tool to look up an old thread and found it very easily (Content>Search). This may now be my favorite way of searching. It was easier than Google search.

Edited by tony-muscle

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I'm not a fan, but as long as the forum killers known as VerticalScope aren't taking over I can adapt.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at

http://www.rccinnovations.com/Images/smlogo.jpg

Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC

32 minutes ago, TheRktmn said:

I'm not a fan, but as long as the forum killers known as VerticalScope aren't taking over I can adapt.

I have had Verticlescope and some other forum buyer company contact me several times trying to buy...but I wouldn't ever do that!  (Well maybe if they offered like a million bucks or something, LOL!)  But they do tend to kill a forum when they take over!  They also convert all forums to vBulletin which is one of the worst softwares out there to use!

• Like 1

spacer.png

I'm amazed that you know 70% of the traffic is using a mobile device,   I use my Laptop to view this site, I don't like using a mobile device much.

Still struggling :(

On 8/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, Stanglover said:

Wouldn't know. We're not allowed to play with dangerous toys here in Canada. Someone might get hurt!!

Are you sure? It seems I see a lot of people with hockey sticks and pucks in Canada. And the dental damage they cause seem severe. Chuck

1 hour ago, c9zx said:

Are you sure? It seems I see a lot of people with hockey sticks and pucks in Canada. And the dental damage they cause seem severe. Chuck

Guns and hockey sticks? Haha. Hockey is a man to man sport. Gun’s? well, an American past time I guess... I’ll “stick” to playing hockey, Thanks.

Edited by 7173Vert

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

2 hours ago, c9zx said:

Ah, but that's different!!

Geoff.

Here are my two cents on the new forum:

- Ads: Please remove this crap (the non-mustang, site supporters ones). I have no prob give a few bucks per year instead. They are annoying and reason why I boycott many other sites. Can't boycott my fav site can I??

- cookies: on Iphone, each and every reload asks if I accept them: Then use them! Store the fact that I do accept them and never show them again!

- Remove the dependency on Tapatalk (whatever the name of that shi$$%y app that I regret to have installed once). or same, store the choice in cookies or user account variables.

- on mobile, reduce the use of menus in submenus, just offer the whole list with bigger buttons. My finger tips are obviously too fat and keep pressing wrong one :)

- clubs: where did they all go??

- threads template are too lengthy. My build thread for instance was having something like 45 pages, rich in images. Now reduced to 19. So thats a bunch of images to load per page and not really handy to find something back within one. Unnecessary extra traffic for the server and delays the preview while on the go. 

- Nav wise. Haven't really had time to use it as I used to with the old one but the new responsive css do the job much better.

- Design: The impression is it feels bit too white, too texty. Need more naked w.. Mustangs!

Overall: Good work on this Rocket! As some said it will evolve and I'm sure it will soon have the unique identity that made the old one so attractive!

Edited by Fabrice

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Hum...........Its different I'll give it that. But Im not the one to judge. Im old and I've never been on any forum site in my life. This is the first one. So, I should catch on quick ? right?.   

I did get pretty familiar with the last forum site. Heres my vote, the other site was easier to learn than this one. However thats because I had nothing to compare it to.  But if given time I will learn this site as well. Thats because Im not going any where cause im to old to learn another. 

My wife says Im a child at heart. That cant be right? If it was?   I would be able to write the programming code for this sight :biggrin:

PS:  It does seem a bit odd that you must look through all posts? But what the heck , I dont even know what half the words Fabrice just used.   Like cookies? Where?  or user account variables? HUH ?  Tapatalk ?  is that a new phone? 

Every one keeps mentioning about going through every post??  Don't forget, there is an UNREAD CONTENT button at the top of every page!!  This only shows new stuff that you haven't read yet...

Capture.JPG

spacer.png

22 hours ago, Fabrice said:

Here are my two cents on the new forum:

- Ads: Please remove this crap (the non-mustang, site supporters ones). I have no prob give a few bucks per year instead. They are annoying and reason why I boycott many other sites. Can't boycott my fav site can I??  The Google ads don't pay much but they do help with costs!  I only run 1 ad in the footer but I can make it smaller!

- cookies: on Iphone, each and every reload asks if I accept them: Then use them! Store the fact that I do accept them and never show them again! Yeah, not sure what was up with that but I was able to remove it!

- Remove the dependency on Tapatalk (whatever the name of that shi$$%y app that I regret to have installed once). or same, store the choice in cookies or user account variables.  I think we will remove it soon...but there are a few diehard Tapa-Fans here that requested it!  It is really not needed with the new responsive theme.

- on mobile, reduce the use of menus in submenus, just offer the whole list with bigger buttons. My finger tips are obviously too fat and keep pressing wrong one :)  This might be tough...the menus are hard coded into the script and I don;t want to make huge theme changes for ease of future upgrades.

- clubs: where did they all go??  We have Clubs but no one has ventured into creating them yet!

- threads template are too lengthy. My build thread for instance was having something like 45 pages, rich in images. Now reduced to 19. So thats a bunch of images to load per page and not really handy to find something back within one. Unnecessary extra traffic for the server and delays the preview while on the go.  I think the amount of threads to show per page is adjustable in your settings...I'll have to a little research on this...

- Nav wise. Haven't really had time to use it as I used to with the old one but the new responsive css do the job much better.  It is much smoother than the old forum and easy for me to manage in the ACP!

- Design: The impression is it feels bit too white, too texty. Need more naked w.. Mustangs!  Yes, IPS is all about getting rid of clutter and focusing on content.  There is a theme update coming soon...it will remove a little more clutter but I might be able to add some graphic magic to spice it up some!  There are also a bunch of really nice themes available...they are fun but they tend to break after major software security upgrades and sometimes the authors do not update the themes.  If I add any, they will be secondary choices like the dark theme.

Overall: Good work on this Rocket! As some said it will evolve and I'm sure it will soon have the unique identity that made the old one so attractive!  Thanks!  Yes, it is new and still has that "New Forum Feel!"  It will evolve into what most of want and are comfortable with...just have to endure the short adjustment period!

Good points...I made some notes in red above.

spacer.png

@RocketFoot

Here some new questions: Just posted for the first time in months, and it didn't work really smooth...

- is there a way to see the post you edit in raw format (html or plain text), as there are obviously bugs in the edit mode.

- I take care making my picts 1024 wide as a constant, but the embed code is wrong, and somehow rescales picture to a random size that is not the intended display. As if the height is the deciding scaling factor which should not be.

- there is an upload limit of 7.2 mb's now (is it to stay? How do I post new updates then?) , so wanted to cut/delete the already uploaded urls to paste into a following reply, but no matter how hard I pushed the delete button during reedit, it removed them visually, but after saving the edited preview, they were back.

- Tried to post the rest of my update in a new 1/2 post, but wasn't allowed to upload one more pict and copy paste of the previous post image not displayed. 

Heeeeeeeeelp!!!

I'm not following you on the upload problems?  There should be plenty of room to upload average size photos and files...adding them is also easy with file search or drag and drop.  You can also use the INSERT OTHER MEDIA button and add images that you have already attached elsewhere.

I am looking into raw format editing as you are correct, there is no button at the moment.

spacer.png

@RocketFoot

Says 7.2 mb, no more. Using the drag drop. So did split the post till I can edit the post , thinking the limit would not apply to the second, but no, I wasn't able to upload any images for the second one as 7.2 megs limit was reached.

I'll try the insert button from already used/uploaded later, once I can see what the string generated looks like, it should make more sense.

And as said, also not able to remove the used images from first post and paste them in second even if the preview showed they were removed.

I just see now some file icon added in text at first line. Not seeing the raw source I can't clean up...

I also see that the wrong rescaling of images occurs only on desktop and tablets, on phone all images are using the div content width as max pict width and image are rescaled in ratio.

Hope you can help kuz now my thread update looks like if made by a lunatic :D