Mach1 sport lamps: What do they do originally?

Mine came on with the parking lights and stayed on with driving lights/high beams but I sent my complete harness to midlife and he might have changed that. I'll find out when the time comes to install.

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

1971/72 sportslamps come on whenever power is applied to the headlights.  In 1973, they became a shared device between running lights and turn signal lamps.

As this post has been around for some time and I don't have time to go through all of it, can I ask a question of you. Is it possible to wire the sport lights on a 71/72 so they are on whenever the engine is running so they become daylight running lights. I asked this question in another recent post, but without comment. I'm thinking it may need a separate wire to an accessory terminal that is 12V and keyed, or is there a simpler way.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

You could use a relay, with the hot wire coming directly from the battery (through a fuse) and an existing key on source to activate the relay. If you are running an original style alternator you could also use the stator terminal to activate the relay, which means the only time the lights are on is when the engine is actually running, not just during key on. Measure your stator output voltage and buy the relay that matches that activation voltage, with 20 amps, or so, at 12 volts relay contacts. You don't need nearly that many amps for just the lights, but I believe in reserve capacity.

• Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

You could use a relay, with the hot wire coming directly from the battery (through a fuse) and an existing key on source to activate the relay. If you are running an original style alternator you could also use the stator terminal to activate the relay, which means the only time the lights are on is when the engine is actually running, not just during key on. Measure your stator output voltage and buy the relay that matches that activation voltage, with 20 amps, or so, at 12 volts relay contacts. You don't need nearly that many amps for just the lights, but I believe in reserve capacity.

Don, thanks for your comments. I will look into this when the car is out of storage. I just knew there had to be a way to do it.

Here in Ontario, DLR's are mandatory on newer cars, so everybody expects to see them, either orange or white are permissible, so when there is a car without them, nobody seems to see you and it can get real scary in a hurry.

Thanks Don,

Geoff.

Geoff.

You'd have to break the existing wiring (orange/red) to the sportslamp and replace it with the relayed power. You'd also need to properly terminate the cut wires so they don't cause inadvertent shorting when the headlights are on.

So what would you do if your Mustang (or other old car) didn't have sportslamps for DRL's?

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

You'd have to break the existing wiring (orange/red) to the sportslamp and replace it with the relayed power.  You'd also need to properly terminate the cut wires so they don't cause inadvertent shorting when the headlights are on.

Good info .

So what would you do if your Mustang (or other old car) didn't have sportslamps for DRL's?

Well, one could modify the side/turn signal light or simple drive with headlights on. I do actually drive quite often with just the side lights on, but then there's the risk of forgetting to turn them off. My car does not have a light buzzer......... or any other buzzer for that matter.

Back in the old days, when I were a lad, I always drove my motorcycle with the headlight on in daytime. I got a lot of car drivers flashing me, but at least they SAW me!! Being SEEN is what it's all about.

Thanks midlife for your input. As I said to Don, something to look seriously at in Spring when the car comes out of hibernation.

Geoff.

Geoff.

• 3 years later...

Think they should be renamed Look Cool Lights.  The real reason I'm replying ....need the correct bulb number or sometimes called trade name. I can't seem to find anybody that knows the answer. Maybe you could look at one of your bulbs and give me a reply back .......much appreciate your help going forward. 

After reading this thread, I'm still a little confused...when we say "Sport Lamps" are we talking about running lights/parking lights? As in, the two amber lamps next to the headlights? Mine come on at the first position of the headlight switch, and they just look cool.

Edited by Fredensborg
  • Like 1

large.fredensborg.jpg.ea0287683b42221ffb
Jason
1973 Mach1 Q-code

My carbon footprint is exceptionally large.

15 minutes ago, Fredensborg said:

After reading this thread, I'm still a little confused...when we say "Sport Lamps" are we talking about running lights/parking lights? As in, the two amber lamps next to the headlights? Mine come on at the first position of the headlight switch, and they just look cool.

Sport Lamps per se are on 71 & 72 mainly Mach 1's as far as I know. Could they have been ordered on other model, I'm not sure, but definitely Mach 1's in the grill. 

IMG_1561_LI (2).jpg

Edited by Stanglover

Geoff.

Oh, so your talking about those other amber lights below the headlights then. I've never noticed those before, I have a 71/72 grill on my 73...I wonder if I could put those on, they look cool!

large.fredensborg.jpg.ea0287683b42221ffb
Jason
1973 Mach1 Q-code

My carbon footprint is exceptionally large.

22 hours ago, Outrider4 said:

Think they should be renamed Look Cool Lights.  The real reason I'm replying ....need the correct bulb number or sometimes called trade name. I can't seem to find anybody that knows the answer. Maybe you could look at one of your bulbs and give me a reply back .......much appreciate your help going forward. 

The correct bulb number is #94. Easiest place to find them is a marine store, they're used in stern lights. You can also use a #1076. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fredensborg said:

Oh, so your talking about those other amber lights below the headlights then. I've never noticed those before, I have a 71/72 grill on my 73...I wonder if I could put those on, they look cool!

8 hours ago, Fredensborg said:

Sport lamps are in the grill, the one below the bumper are running and turn signal lights.

• Like 1

Geoff.

71-72 Sport lamp bulbs have to be grounded via a wire in the harness. The bulbs are different to other types. On the bottom, there are two contacts, 1 is power the other ground. 

On my car, I have switched all the lights to LED type including a special sport lamp bulb. 

Contac Bill at HiPoParts.com for the best LED's and accessories. Bill will only sell high quality stuff, not like on epay

https://www.hipoparts.com

Edited by Stanglover

Geoff.