Possible cowl repair?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
I know there is a whole cowl replacement upper and lower but it just seems like a lot of unnecessary work since it’s not completely gone. 

Im wondering If the older gen cowl piece repair kit could be made to work 

I’m also open to ideas.

if you’re wondering why I did this I figured if worst case scenario appears I can just get the whole kit. If I can do a quality repair then great! 

5DE53253-28F1-465A-9039-F6F8A76DB8F7.jpeg

27D06912-1743-4AA8-B40B-A173C9F13A1B.jpeg

EFBB4197-4A6A-4A6A-AB23-851638CE934A.jpeg

B95DF283-C18A-47E1-B39F-572DB5D27832.png

Buy the upper and lower and use what you need. Cut out patches and weld them in flush for an invisible repair.  The kit from Cj's looks generic as hell. 

I fixed it using the plastic hat. Here is a link to the thread. However, in my case I did it through the access holes without cutting a sheet metal access. Since you have it all cut up, as Kevin suggested, you may want to buy the cowl piece and cut what you need without replacing the whole thing.

You have come this far so don't stop short.  Make sure you do it to last.  You should be ok using the hat's from cj or any other place.  As mentioned above you might want to buy a cowl and piece out what you need.  Just make sure that you address all the rusty areas with some type of rust prevention / treatment product.   You must remember that unless the vehicle is kept inside and not driven in the rain/snow that the cowl area collects water and is more susceptible to rust than other parts of the car. 

The repo parts and OEM parts will never have the same form details. Trying to cut patches is a waste of time. Just change out the panel. Floor patches are a wast of time also. Much faster and better to do whole floor pan. Trying to get butt welds to match up will be stupid crazy. Panel out panel in is best and will go better and faster.

The repo parts and OEM parts will never have the same form details. Trying to cut patches is a waste of time. Just change out the panel. Floor patches are a wast of time also. Much faster and better to do whole floor pan. Trying to get butt welds to match up will be stupid crazy. Panel out panel in is best and will go better and faster.
You’ll be glad to know I have new cowl panels on the way! New panels in for sure

Back