72 Mach 1 Q code mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry usher

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just started a full resto Om my Mach1 and was planning to remove the engine and transmission out in one piece it’s a 351C with C6 Auto is this possible or should I remove them separately, I don’t have a hoist just working alone in my garage with a block and tackle and trolley jack 

any hints and tips appreciated.

Terry

33A9A237-D50D-40DB-BFAD-1C64DBEBB13B.jpeg

81E8893A-738A-41BE-BD75-245D391721F7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're working by your lonesome, you are probably best served to remove the tranny first then the engine should come out without too much trouble.  Anyway, welcome aboard!  Keep up posted with plenty o pics!

As long as whatever you're attaching your block and tackle to will support the weight of the transmission and engine I would remove them together. Faster and easier. I have a transmission jack and still prefer to remove them together. I've removed transmissions just using a regular floor jack, difficult balancing act by your self. Please make sure your overhead support will handle the load.

I am connecting to a very strong timber beam (hard wood) I have lifted a 272 y block and transmission in the past

Welcome from west Michigan.

I hope you can find a friend to help with the engine. Maybe a youngster you can teach a thing or 2.
I live in Melbourne Australia we are currently in A 6 week lockdown because of COVID-19 so I can’t have anyone over For a while.

anyway I have always loved the 71/73 Mustang I finally have one now so I’m restoring her one great advantage absolutely no rust  I will attach plenty more photos along the way.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.

Apart from your car being a 72, it looks exactly what my 71 would have looked liked when new, except for the wheels. No rust is a huge bonus and money in the bank. You've come to the right place for help, ideas and inspiration.

Good luck and be careful pulling the motor and trans. When I did mine, I pulled them as a unit, but mine is a 4 speed, so quite a bit lighter. 

Good luck,

Geoff.

Welcome from central Illinois.  I really like your car!  I pulled engine by itself first and then dropped trans out from underneath but part of that was due to mine being a 4 speed and I couldn't get the shifter handle to come out!  I look forward to seeing your photos along the way.

Good looking car, and I look forward to seeing it progress as you go through it. Im planning on pulling the motor in mine and I think I had decided to pull the motor first then trans.

Welcome from Illinois!  Great looking car!  Pulling both the engine and trans together makes it a little easier and can be done. 

Welcome from Southeast Michigan.

From the home of Ford Motor Company

Hello from N.C.. 
I myself prefer to pull the transmission and then engine. Much less to get hung up on and no spilled trans fluid. I have two post lift, engine hoist and A-frame but I find it faster and easier with trans. off myself. I have a chain fall go crazy once and the engine fell lucky nobody under it and no car damage either. The factory did together but they had all the special lift and tilt tools and two guys under the car to guide also. 
Sounds like me I have to do everything or nothing gets done.

Hi all

I now have the engine and transmission out trans first then engine as I never had enough swing space to remove together, engine bay stripped down, interior and dash out, basically everything out above the floor.

I’m going to buy a rotisserie and then remove the suspension, steering, diff etc. plus it should make it easier to work on.

i purchased parts from CJ pony parts the freight to Australia and the exchange rate made parts very expensive, I’m looking for a cheaper alternative,  please let me know if there is a better alternative.

i managed to remove the front and rear window without breaking it, very happy with that as the rear glass has a factory  demister I’m sure it would be hard and expensive to replace.

very happy with the floors they look like new under the carpet and under matting.

will post again soon.

1412A9B2-51C2-4734-8FD3-349D2727EC26.jpeg

DF2B1E79-D514-44B9-9DD3-4F8B89C9D5AF.jpeg

8C55B782-CB9B-4E60-A7EF-B6BBFCBF99AD.jpeg

FBFEE9A1-11FC-41AC-8B3C-437461B4D58E.jpeg

Floors look amazing. That piece of paper in the left rear floor is important. That is a copy of your build sheet used on the Ford assembly line to build your car. Carefully remove it and save it. Shows every bolt on component that went on down the line. 

Yes very happy with the floors and I have saved the build sheet was stuck to the floor and ripped a bit but I will put it back together and laminate it 

Back