My car in a scam listing :(

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
https://www.automall-online.com/cars/1973-ford-mustang-mach-1-351-4-v-cleavand-engine-15-magnums-and-bfg-tires_i624

I set Google Alerts for different things. A while back, I decided to set a Google Alert for my VIN. Look what popped up. They took the photos and description from the Hemmings ad I bought the car from back in February, and put on a new phony low price that looks like one heck of a deal. Some sad person is probably going to get duped and send them money on a car that's not for sale. 

They even took the time to add their stamp to the photos and white out the license plate. The license plates showed on the Hemmings ad. This is very deliberate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's F'n scary!! That add look way too real. F'n crooks everywhere. They should be jailed and throw the key away.

Maybe we all should look into securing our info better and be way more careful what we post here as well. Who knows who's reading the Forum.

I can't wait to see the response they give you David. LOL

Geoff, I agree. But in this case they just gleaned everything from the Hemmings ad. That way 90% of their work was done. Not much can be done about that. 

BTW if you want a killer 1970 Boss 429 They apparently have one for around $15k. LOL :rofl:

I've run into more weird shit since buying this car than I ever could have imagined.  :classic_blink:

Lot of rat bastards out there, for sure. To cover your own a$$ you might see if there is some way to contact the web site and tell them what is going on, so you don't get caught up in some mess.

We sold our motorhome on RV Trader earlier this year, and had some concerns about it, but the website keeps potential buyers isolated from the seller. We had a couple of people that tried to contact us that were obviously not legit, so we didn't respond and had them blocked.

Yes indeed. There's one born every minute............. and they know it!!

I was telling my wife about this scam because when I bought my car in 08, it too was on Hemmings for a price way below what I would expect for a really nice 71 Mach 1. I emailed the seller to ask if he still had the car and confirm the price. I got an email back next day only to say he still had the car, but he did not confirm price. So, I went back to the Hemmings site to find the ad was gone. I'm the suspicious type and I wanted to print the ad off. **TIP, if you're looking at any car advertised online, print the ad first for your records.** In my case I did have the sellers phone number and was able to arrange a trip out to LA to see the car for myself. At the very least, I would have a great trip out to LA for the weekend. Now, not having the ad printed off that showed the asking price, nearly cost me the car when I imported it into Canada. CBSA thought I was lying about what I paid and threatened to confiscate the car. After 2 1/2 hours, they let me go with the car. 

Point here, be sure in every way what and who you're dealing with. See the car in person, have some you know look at it or at least verify it's a genuine sale.

You could always contact the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center, tell them you currently own it and have them investigate the site...

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Back