A/C charge....should I or shouldn't I??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I have replaced my AC system from the firewall forward with the stage 2 kit from Original air  https://www.originalair.com/71-73-ford-mustang-engine-compartment-upgrade-v-8-134a-w-adapter-brackets     .  I also flushed out the evaporator until clean fluid came out and  I am ready to vacuum the system and charge it for the first time.  Being in the GA mountains I have a hard time finding a shop that knows what they are doing, this goes so far for ac work on the Mustang as well as other work (includes 2 classic car resto shops).  Soooooooooooo in preparation for this ac I bought a set of gauges and a vacuum as well, watched some youtube videos and it seems pretty straight forward if you watch what you are doing and take your time.  I have plenty of time to do this so the question is, should I????

What refrigerant are you using?

It is pretty easy to do any of the refrigerants, so even moderate skills can get the job done safely.  If you can pump the vacuum down to -31 inHG and it holds on its own for 30 minutes or so you are probably sealed well.  The only cautions are DO NOT over fill, and DO NOT charge through the high pressure port.

kcmash

Do not use Chinese no-brand refrigerants. I was recommended DuPont's: 
This is good advice regardless of what is being discussed.  Do not use Chinese *anything* if there is another choice.

Back