Finally out of the paint shop!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

Well its been a long 7 weeks, but the Calypso Coral Stang is out of the paint shop!

I have a very long list of things to do now on it.  First up, a trip to the body shop to get all the panels aligned and work out the issues with the sports mirrors.  Then I can get the decal man over to do the stripes.  After that, im putting in a new windshield and rear window.  Then were going to paint all the interior pieces.  Then it should be ready to drive!  It looks so good.  Damn!

paint 6.jpg

paint 7.jpg

paint 8.jpg

paint 10.jpg

Congratulations! Looks fantastic!. I love Calypso Coral. I am working on a Calypso Coral March 1. Had it painted a few months ago. I would post a picture of it, but its the wrong year for this forum....it's a 70 Mach with Vermilion interior.

Good luck with completing the restoration. 

Rich I know I’m not the only one who’d love to see that 70 Mach.  Theres a 70 Calypso Coral March 1 near where my son lives - been there awhile and it’s killing me sitting outside....

Im really pleased how it turned out.  Im slowly but surely working on it bit by bit after work, all day weekends when I can.  Im cleaning up the drip rail molding now, lots of fun doing that.  Someone suggested WD-40 to clean all the crap off of them.  Im going to give that a Try later.

Driving it home from the paint shop was interesting.  Every car that passed slowed down and looked at it hard.  

Rich I know I’m not the only one who’d love to see that 70 Mach.  Theres a 70 Calypso Coral March 1 near where my son lives - been there awhile and it’s killing me sitting outside....
Well okay. Here it is.... Don't mind the blue masking tape squares here and there. Those are minor defects in the clear coat... I mark them as I find them.20200820_122031.jpg

I painted the trim & taillight bezels black and outlined them with calypso coral. Also, eliminated the front side markers in the fenders (personally I felt they ruined the look of the front lines). I moved them down to the valence like on a 1969.  I installed power windows and motorized the side view mirrors. Put the window and mirror controls in the center console and had TMI eliminate the holes in the new door panels. Added power discs front and rear and CPP GM style power steering box, so it is mechanically more like our 71-73 steering. This fall I hope to get the Tremec 600 5 spd trans installed and stroke the 351C to 408ci with a Holley Sniper EFI . Also got rid of the US Mags logo'd center caps on the 17" Bandit wheels and found blank aftermarket center caps that fit and glued in the tri bar center cap emblem. My apologies for hijacking the thread.

20200820_122202.jpg

Damn rackerm that is so sharp.  Man I wish I had one of those too.  But I already have 2 project vehicles.  My wife would kill me if I got another.

Damn rackerm that is so sharp.  Man I wish I had one of those too.  But I already have 2 project vehicles.  My wife would kill me if I got another.
Thanks. I hear that. This will be my last project. My wife has other plans for my time and funds once this car is done.

I think we talked some of facebook about your car. On the roof rails go back on using 3-M strip calk much better than the foam tape and will last forever. I use lacquer thinner to clean my roof rails, then stripped the anodize and buffed them and put clear coat on. Not perfect but less the $27.00 a foot they get to redo them. The Daniel Carpenter roof rail rubber went in perfect. 

DSC_0945 (3).JPG

DSC_0946 (3).JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

DSC_0961.JPG

DSC_0962.JPG

We dropped it off at a real body shop this morning where they are going to take it all apart and put it back together correctly.  Including the interior which is all jacked up at the moment.  They are also painting the hood graphic. So thanks for the measurements on that!

Back