PCV setup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
I'm looking to set up a pcv setup on my 72, 532. Currently I have 2 open element breathers, and it seems my oil is getting dirty too fast.

Anyway, my carb is a not so street friendly holley 4150 hp. Which comes with no choke or provisions for vacuum connections. I have a plug directly beneath the carb, on the offy manifold. I'm figuring ill get a barbed fitting there, then replace one of my open element breathers with a PCV valve set up and run a 3/8 hose between the two. Anything I should know or do? Thanks

Engine shot for fun

2011-08-22_20-21-54_921.jpg

2011-08-22_20-22-24_551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to set up a pcv setup on my 72, 532. Currently I have 2 open element breathers, and it seems my oil is getting dirty too fast.

Anyway, my carb is a not so street friendly holley 4150 hp. Which comes with no choke or provisions for vacuum connections. I have a plug directly beneath the carb, on the offy manifold. I'm figuring ill get a barbed fitting there, then replace one of my open element breathers with a PCV valve set up and run a 3/8 hose between the two. Anything I should know or do? Thanks

Engine shot for fun
Your engine bay looks eerily familiar. I am also running a 460 with the same valve covers. The issue I had was in finding grommets that would properly seal the pcv valve to the factory holes in the valve covers. I thought I had blowby problems because the dipstick would push out on hard acceleration and make a mess. It turned out the sloppy fit of the pcv valve/grommet in the valve cover was preventing the system from working properly. I found some oversize grommets which made for a tighter fit and solved the problem. I ran my pcv hose to a barbed fitting I installed in a carb spacer. As long as the hole in your manifold goes to the plenum it should work. By rights the breather should go to the air cleaner but I am using a breather as well and it works fine.

Did you have to drill your holes? I did- for the 200 I paid I shouldn't have. mine didn't come with baffles either. Anyway, the holes I drilled are about 1 1/4 (1.22 according to the micrometer) do you happen to know your hole size and what brand/part number grommet and pcv you used?

The holes were drilled and baffles installed when I got them. I bought them from someone as having never been installed. They were still in the original packaging and I was under the impression they were not modified.

I don't have the exact sizes handy. I will check it out when I get home tonight and post up.

The hole I was able to measure was 1.26" +/-.

I don't recall specifically what pcv valve I used but it was for a high performance engine such as a B302 or 429CJ.

I got the oversize grommets here:

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley_drivetrain/breathers.html

Be advised that the addition of a pcv valve may effect your carb tune as it introduces a controlled vacuum leak.

I cannot tell from the picture (the old eyes are not what they use to be) but are those the "Ford Racing" or the "Motorsports SVO Power" covers?

I have a set of each and the "Ford racing" ones are not drilled but the "Motorsport SVO Power" ones are drilled and baffled. Of course, I purchased the "Ford Racing" ones new and purchased the "SVO" one from a member on another Site.

I don't know if that difference matters or not.

BT

Thanks ford the info, looks like I get to order some parts tonight. Thanks for the heads up also, ill let you know how things turn out.

There the motorsport covers. They have mounts for the baffles and a obvious area ( from the under side) where it should be drilled...

Good to know, i didn't know that. Maybe I can put my pcv in the front and drill a hole for the rear...Op

PC250018.JPG

Good to know, i didn't know that. Maybe I can put my pcv in the front and drill a hole for the rear...Op
That's the way Ford originaly had it.The factory 351 / 429 used the twist on oil fill cap with the PCV mounted in the cap. The passenger side uses a grommet with a 45 degree plastic elbow with a rubber hose running back to the aircleaner and connecting to the crank case filter. You can do this with an open element air cleaner by plumming underneath if you have room. Back in the day Mr.Gasket made an adapter for this.

I can't figure out how to post two pictures in my post,so here is the passenger side. "I so dumb"!

PC250015.JPG

Unfortunately when I bought my mustang the origional engine was gone along with almost everything else under the hood that was stock, so when building my motor and assembling the engine bay I had to "make it up" as I went along.

E- so origionally our cars have a pcv/breather combo on the driver side, which I have seen in the vendor magazines. I cant see too much on the pass side valve cover, what is over there? im assuming a vent to the air cleaner? if your so inclined maybe you could take a pic with the air cleaner off? Im trying to find a 90 degree angled pcv, most of the mustang vendors are straight. The factory one on my 92 bronco 351w is a nice 90 degree. I wonder if that will work...

I think a fram FV184 would work if you want an angled valve.

I just looked into the Crank Case Evacuation System and it seems pretty cool. I do wonder how much more effective it is over a standard pcv. Since the kit is only 40 bucks from jegs and to set up a pcv system would cost around 25. Id have to pull the headers which is not always fun but if the "C.C.E.S" is more effective ill take that route.

Would it be a bad idea to run one valve cover CCES and one valve cover a pcv valve?

I just looked into the Crank Case Evacuation System and it seems pretty cool. I do wonder how much more effective it is over a standard pcv. Since the kit is only 40 bucks from jegs and to set up a pcv system would cost around 25. Id have to pull the headers which is not always fun but if the "C.C.E.S" is more effective ill take that route.

Would it be a bad idea to run one valve cover CCES and one valve cover a pcv valve?
I'm not an expert by any means but I don't think that they would evacuate the same amount of crankcase pressure.

Unfortunately when I bought my mustang the origional engine was gone along with almost everything else under the hood that was stock, so when building my motor and assembling the engine bay I had to "make it up" as I went along.

E- so origionally our cars have a pcv/breather combo on the driver side, which I have seen in the vendor magazines. I cant see too much on the pass side valve cover, what is over there? im assuming a vent to the air cleaner? if your so inclined maybe you could take a pic with the air cleaner off? Im trying to find a 90 degree angled pcv, most of the mustang vendors are straight. The factory one on my 92 bronco 351w is a nice 90 degree. I wonder if that will work...
Yes, that 45 will work. The hose you would use to run to the aircleaner is just a length of 5/8 heater hose.The fitting ot the aircleaner is a 90 and it uses aclip to hold the crank case breather inside the aircleaner. I will try to get you a shot of the set up this evening..By the way.When I had the 429 in my car I used the same set up with the factory style finned valve covers. I will look through my stash and see if I have one of those 45s.I have always been real carefull to save and stash manifold and vacume fittings. I also had the Offy intake on my 429 with the vacum port under the carb. If I remeber currectly I used the 351C vacume tree. Just a thought,you might try to hit the 429 mega site and look at their pictures. The 429s and the Clevelands used basicaly the same system,with a few minor differances.

My pcv valve is on the rear of the passenger side valve cover. With the tall valve covers it is a tight fit under the shock tower brace to get the pcv hose on. I found a 90 degree elbow on the help rack at the local auto parts store to go on top of the pcv valve to connect the hose to. I use a cheapo Mr. gasket chrome push in breather on the front pass side valve cover. Not for those looking for originality but this setup cured my dipstick oil leak issue.

I decided on going with the crank case evac system. 40.00 from summit. Do any of you think I would need a separate "breather" also? Since the two that run to the collectors are obviously "sealed"....

I decided on going with the crank case evac system. 40.00 from summit. Do any of you think I would need a separate "breather" also? Since the two that run to the collectors are obviously "sealed"....
If it is like the Morroso kit ,it should come with the breathers and grommets for the valve covers. The two valves that mount on the headers are one way valves. They will let the air flow from the engine into the exhaust and not let it back up the vent tubes,just like a PCV valve. I have one of thosekits in my shop cabinet..

Back