Tricky problem from 1000 to 2000 rpm. Need help driving me insane.

That is a new one for me never heard of a rethreading tap. Taps are sold in GH sizes. Each number in the GH is .0005" over nominal. When building tools and heat treating steel that can change size we used GH 5 usually or .0025" oversize. I always cut a couple more threads deeper when I run tap in to be sure it is deep enough. I blow out and I do this before block is cleaned. So most of my taps are GH-5. I do not feel them cutting anything until they get to the bottom. I always use 2 flute taps much stronger. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, c9zx said:

That's the same set I have and it's saved my behind more times than I can count. The thread files are worth their weight in gold. 

They are a very handy tool that gets used a lot here. Chuck

Well.... put her all back together and she ran super strong. And then she didn't. It's looking like either my lifter has collapsed or my cam lobe has gone flat on my Cylinder 4 exhaust valve for no good god damn reason. the rocker came loose twice and now I'm having to screw the nut all the way down practically to get 0 lash (adjustable valves with screw in studs). Only good sign is that the lifter doesn't seem to be pumping up bc when i press the pushrod down i can push the lifter spring down easily.   If it turns out being the cam... I'm probably going to look into a rebuilt bottom end so i don't put in all that work on my original.  Either way gotta pop back off the intake. This sucks 

If it ran "super strong" I doubt a wiped cam lobe. Hopefully you are lucky and it is just a failed lifter. Chuck

There are not that many sizes of bolts in a Mustang you can buy good taps for less than the whole kit. It does have a couple thread files. If a fastener is bad you do not want to put it back in just get a new one. The tapped holes you cannot get a new one so taps are more handy than dies or files. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Pull the oil filter, dump it out, cut it apart, if it's the lobe wiped out there will be metallic particles in the oil, will look kind of like metallic paint when you look at it in the light.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein