1971 Mach 1 restoration video part 4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video  :thumb:  

Very inspirational, you almost make me want to tackle some of the rust I've got.

Mike
I’m glad! I know I seem tired, it was a long day after work but I’m glad I got my mini goal made. 
just gotta get in there and start doing it!

Great job so far.  Keep plugging way and you will get there.  You are a lot farther then you were a month ago and a month from now you will be that much more.  

Great job so far.  Keep plugging way and you will get there.  You are a lot farther then you were a month ago and a month from now you will be that much more.  
 All about those little mini goals!

Your project sounds soooo familiar...Keep on truckin'.

You are making great progress.  But I would warn to not cut too much sheetmetal out of the car before you start welding new stuff in.  If i were you i would start getting some new sheetmetal welded in before cutting out anymore. That thing is going to start getting really flimsy soon.  You don't want anything to move on ya while its apart. I would get some of that welded in before you put it on the dolly and send it to blaster. If you jack up a corner of the car to remove the suspension, it's gonna twist the shell unless you add some bracing throughout the car. Keep up the good work, just be cautious.  

Here is a link to a 71 i did a couple years ago. Alot of the pics in the beginning got deleted but i added in a bunch more towards the end. Something for you to look through. I did alot of the same repairs you are doing.  You may want to end up replacing that drivers side quarter panel.   https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/27464-new-project-for-this-winter-71-mach-1/page/10/

You probably know this, but make sure you slide in the new trunk pan before installing the new tail panel.
yeah i decided to leave the tailight panel the way it is with a few spot welds in place so i can make sure to install everything in the proper order and not forget! haha! but thank you!

Excellent ! I could watch this kind of stuff all day long.  Beats out all the 'stupid' going on. 
i agree! i love watching this stuff and there isnt TOO much on these year stangs so i figured itd be cool to document my process. plus it may help others and itl be great to look back at when im done

You are making great progress.  But I would warn to not cut too much sheetmetal out of the car before you start welding new stuff in.  If i were you i would start getting some new sheetmetal welded in before cutting out anymore. That thing is going to start getting really flimsy soon.  You don't want anything to move on ya while its apart. I would get some of that welded in before you put it on the dolly and send it to blaster. If you jack up a corner of the car to remove the suspension, it's gonna twist the shell unless you add some bracing throughout the car. Keep up the good work, just be cautious.  

Here is a link to a 71 i did a couple years ago. Alot of the pics in the beginning got deleted but i added in a bunch more towards the end. Something for you to look through. I did alot of the same repairs you are doing.  You may want to end up replacing that drivers side quarter panel.   https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/27464-new-project-for-this-winter-71-mach-1/page/10/
thank you for all thetips! and yeah i was thinking about how flimsy things were going to get if i tried to move things around. ive actually decided to leave it on the suspension for right now and do as much sandblasting as i can done at least engine bay and interior and as much underneath. then get new panels in. afterwards i can then put the car on the dolly and finish up doing either sanding by hand or back to the shop to blast depending on if its availiable to use. i appreciate the tips of caution tho for sure. im excited to look through and grateful for all the help on this site

Love the video update! Looks like a nice project, bringing back a lot of memories when doing mine. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. Ryan

Back