Let's Talk Rear Ends

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
As some of you may be aware, I am rapidly concluding the work on my '73 Grande (ICE) project and am now beginning to earnestly focus on the '73 Mach 1.

The Mach 1(FIRE) currently has a 1970 428CJ motor backed by a toploader with a nodular 28 splined rear end. I have already made the decision to change that to a 545 which is just awaiting assembly and some minor machine work. I won't go into the specifics other than to say I will be using a 429SCJ block with maximum ported Trick Flow Aluminum heads. Per my engine builder and our "math", I will be looking at between 750-850 HP on motor. To compliment the motor, I picked up a Broader 1000HP C6 this past Friday.

I am now looking at the acquisition of the rear end. While I have not yet figured out what gear ratio I will be using, I do know that I will be going to 35 spline axles, a nodular iron center section and a big tube housing.

The three major (to my knowledge) rearend "players" (Currie, Moser and Strange) all have essentially what I am looking for but I was wondering if any of you folks have a particular preference and if so, why?

Let the conversation begin!

BT

I have used Strange and Mark Williams in racing environments and Moser and Currie in aggressive street cars. I've had good luck with all of them. All of them have continued to improve their products over time. While I have mixed and matched parts with success in the past, that would not be my first choice. It depends on how much torque, how much grip, type of use and, oh yes, how large a budget. Chuck

Yes Chuck, I would think that one would really have to consider budget with the Mark Williams products.

I don't necessarily have a problem with mixing and matching to get where I want to be but Yes, I agree with you in that utilizing parts from different manufacturers is not my first choice. It would appear that most of Mark Williams rearends call for spools. Have you utilized any of their products with any type of locker or other posi units?

I have come to understand there are several others here on the Site who are running (or plan to run) big block Fords in their '71-'73 Mustangs...I am curious as to their approach in handling all that massive horsepower and torque as it relates to their rear ends.

BT

Yes Chuck, I would think that one would really have to consider budget with the Mark Williams products.

I don't necessarily have a problem with mixing and matching to get where I want to be but Yes, I agree with you in that utilizing parts from different manufacturers is not my first choice. It would appear that most of Mark Williams rearends call for spools. Have you utilized any of their products with any type of locker or other posi units?

I have come to understand there are several others here on the Site who are running (or plan to run) big block Fords in their '71-'73 Mustangs...I am curious as to their approach in handling all that massive horsepower and torque as it relates to their rear ends.

BT
BT, I used Mark Williams parts in a tube chassis car with a spool. I have 35 spline all Strange components in a Versailles housing that I used in the Cougar several years ago. It has a Locker type that worked great at the drags but terrible on the road course, way too coarse "teeth" in the corners. It handled the approximately 570 HP from a 404 CID Clevor with ease. Fire should be an absolute BEAST when it's done. No such thing as too much horsepower. Chuck

I am no expert when it comes to rear ends :blush: But I remember a conversation I had with my engine builder at one point. Now first are you planning on driving the car often or just at the track. What he told me was that there is a huge difference between a race and a street rear ends. He said the race rear ends have softer steel {gears} so instead of breaking on the track the steel will give more. The downfall is that they wear out quicker. As for the street ones the have harder teeth that might break more easily under the added torque. But will last longer under normal driving conditions. But then again I don't see 850 basic horse power normal driving conditions:D

THANKS, Chuck! I am actually leaning toward the Strange unit but will review all the literature on the Currie unit.

Yes, Eric you make a GREAT point. I will not be putting too many miles on FIRE since I use the Marauder for the day-to-day stuff and the 89 5.0 as the backup. To put it perspective, I have less than 30K miles on FIRE.Of course, most of those were 1/4 mile at a time:).

The main thing I am trying to do is ensure I do not have any "breakage" problems as it relates to the rear end. Everything else is pretty much "bullet proof", in my estimation.

BT

well i do have experiance with moser and no other... but i will say i got moser 31 spline for my 9" i put 3rd member in and about an hour later was all done and filed with fluid was extermley simple and there guarenteed for life i belive as long as you put the stickers on the axels

Back