Anyone running an aftermarket carb on stock intake?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 R code. I ordered the car new when I was 19 years old.
2012 Mustang Convertible
1996 BMW R1100RT with Hannigan Sidecar
1997 BMW K1100LT
1981 Honda CM400E
Is anyone running an Edelbrock or a Holley carb on the stock spread bore manifold? I was thinking of making the change for better driveability. What is required for such a change. Will the stock air cleaner fit? I do want to keep the original so I can change it back later if I want to.

Tell ya what. With the internet search I just did I'd be willing to bet Hemikiller can hook you up with exactly what your going to need. Call it a hunch. :rolleyes:

Tell ya what. With the internet search I just did I'd be willing to bet Hemikiller can hook you up with exactly what your going to need. Call it a hunch. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately the spreadbore Ford intake is an animal all it's own.

Best thing you can do is pull the stocker and replace it with a D1ZX aluminum or a D0AE iron unit. The X will take up to an 850 Holley, the E will take a 600 as is, up to the 850 with a 1/2" spacer so the throttle plates clear the casting.

If you don't mind going non-stock, the Blue Thunder dual plane is the katz meow.....

edelbrocks performer rpm Air gap is a really good intake also except if you have ram Air you won't be able to use it. There is a lot of misconceptions also about the air gap because it is advertised for 2v heads. But if you read the description it does mention that it will fit on 4v heads no problem. I have 4v closed chamber heads and the air gap works great.

But wasn't the question about carbs:p

Thanks to all for your input. I was hoping to use the stock aluminum intake. I called Edelbrock and they told me they have nothing for the spread bore manifold and no adaptor plates. I contacted Jegs and was reccomended a Holley 08050S with a new dual fuel line and adaptor plate. This is a 750 cfm carb. They said this will work with my stock air cleaner.

Trans Dapt PN 2199 may work for you. It is listed for a 460 Ford But, it looks like it would work on spread bore Cleveland intakes with or without EGR. Chuck

I had a freind with a 72 Q code that tried to run 600 Holley on the spread bore intake. The motor ran, thats about all I can say about that.Really hurt the car! I would think there is a carb guru out there that could get you the drive ability and performance out of that factory carb? That is a 750 cfm on you HO right? Have you talked to Pony Carbs maybe? Just thinking out loud.

I had a freind with a 72 Q code that tried to run 600 Holley on the spread bore intake. The motor ran, thats about all I can say about that.Really hurt the car! I would think there is a carb guru out there that could get you the drive ability and performance out of that factory carb? That is a 750 cfm on you HO right? Have you talked to Pony Carbs maybe? Just thinking out loud.
That is another option. I will see what they have to say. I have put rebuild kits in it myself a few times and still sometimes have fuel bowl overflowing at times as well as starvation at other times. Mostly it runs fine, but not always. I would like to take it on a road trip this Fall and need it to be reliable. Thanks for all the replies.

Hey R code,

Sounds like you have things pretty much worked out but thought I'd let you know that I'm running a Holley on the stock cast 4 barrel intake. When I got my car it had what decodes as a Ford service replacement Holley carb according to the local performance shop. The fuel bowl was overflowing and the seal on the front pump was leaking so I put a replacement Holley on. It seems to work well for my 73 Q code but that being said I already had an adapter plate. I also had to replace the stud on the top of the carb as the top of the replacement was a little higher and the lid of the breather wouldn't tighten down far enough. All that said, the car runs way better with new Holley right out of the box: the factory presets seem to be pretty close to ideal. Hope that helps.

Hey R code,

Sounds like you have things pretty much worked out but thought I'd let you know that I'm running a Holley on the stock cast 4 barrel intake. When I got my car it had what decodes as a Ford service replacement Holley carb according to the local performance shop. The fuel bowl was overflowing and the seal on the front pump was leaking so I put a replacement Holley on. It seems to work well for my 73 Q code but that being said I already had an adapter plate. I also had to replace the stud on the top of the carb as the top of the replacement was a little higher and the lid of the breather wouldn't tighten down far enough. All that said, the car runs way better with new Holley right out of the box: the factory presets seem to be pretty close to ideal. Hope that helps.
Which Holley did you get for the replacement? I seem to remember back in the days of running Stock Eliminator there were 71 and 72 Clevelands with Holleys that were "legal" to use for stock class.

That is correct. Ford offered an aluminum intake and Holley carb as "service parts". That is the combination my friend runs on the 72 Mustang stock eliminator car. It is P/N D1ZX-9425-D4 and fits a standard square bore Holley. That combination is legal for the Boss 351 and the 72 R code.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct. Ford offered an aluminum intake and Holley carb as "service parts". That is the combination my friend runs on the 72 Mustang stock eliminator car. It is P/N D1ZX-9425-D4 and fits a standard square bore Holley. That combination is legal for the Boss 351 and the 72 R code.
Go Jeff, Throw those numbers out there:udaman:

Which Holley did you get for the replacement? I seem to remember back in the days of running Stock Eliminator there were 71 and 72 Clevelands with Holleys that were "legal" to use for stock class.
Yes, NHRA will let you run the Muscleparts D1ZX-DA square bore intake 'cuz the 4300D is such a POS to work on.

Honestly, retire the stocker to the garage shelf and plop on an iron square bore with a Holley or Edlebrock, your car will be so much more drivable.

Hey R code,

The performance shop I used couldn't get me the same carb as the Ford service Holley that was on the car. It makes sense that the company doesn't make it anymore after all these years. The number on the new replacement is 80747-7 1938. I think that decodes as a multi-application 600 cfm Model 4160. With a few minor mods it still seems to work well even though it isn't specifically for this engine.

Good luck with the fix.

The "factory" Holley is rated at 735 cfm. It's basically a 750 vacuum secondary carb with a drivers side inlet and a transfer tube from the front bowl to the back bowl on the passenger side. A vacuum secondary 750 or a street avenger may be a good choice.

I am running the 750 street avenger ,vacum secondary.It has been pretty flawless so far.I have had to raise the jet sizes,but other than that. I am going to try the Blue thunder intake and one of the performance HP series when I can afFORD it.

The "factory" Holley is rated at 735 cfm. It's basically a 750 vacuum secondary carb with a drivers side inlet and a transfer tube from the front bowl to the back bowl on the passenger side. A vacuum secondary 750 or a street avenger may be a good choice.
That sounds a lot like the one that was reccomended by Jeg's. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Back