71-73 Mustang LED tail lights

RacerX

Question

Hi, I'm in talks with Gary from VintageLEDS.com over on vintage-mustang.com about LED tail light setup for our cars.

Here's the discussion: https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/vintage-leds-product-expansions.1182195/

He asked me to ask you all about who'd be interested in a setup for our cars and how it needs to be installed.

Are you more interested in just plug and play insertion into the current tail light housing with no modifications? He said these would be more expensive b/c have to split it into 3 boards vs 1 to go into the 3 segments.

I asked about removing the 2 partitions in the housing and utilizing a cone to direct the backup white light to that lens and let the rest of the area be the usual stop/tail/turn light. This way it can reduce cost and be 1 board, although you'd have to modify your tail light housing by cutting out the partitions.

What's your pick? 3 segments or 1?

He mentioned Dapper lighting @ https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/1971-1973-ford-mustang-advanced-sequential-led-tail-lights

Their product uses 3 boards but cheaper quality, smaller LED's than he utilizes and isn't the quality product he produces.

Let me know your input here and I'll pass it on to Gary, then post back here for you.

No investment in the product, just trying to help a fellow Mustang guy and small business man (now that he's laid off from company merger)

Curtis

10 answers to this question

I love the sequential Mustang tail lights, I even  use my turn signal more then I should in my 2014.  I would like them on my '72 but $300 just seems a little silly for me to spend and I can afford it without question, I am just not sure I want to.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:39 PM, RacerX said:

Hi, I'm in talks with Gary from VintageLEDS.com over on vintage-mustang.com about LED tail light setup for our cars.

Here's the discussion: https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/vintage-leds-product-expansions.1182195/

He asked me to ask you all about who'd be interested in a setup for our cars and how it needs to be installed.

Are you more interested in just plug and play insertion into the current tail light housing with no modifications? He said these would be more expensive b/c have to split it into 3 boards vs 1 to go into the 3 segments.

I asked about removing the 2 partitions in the housing and utilizing a cone to direct the backup white light to that lens and let the rest of the area be the usual stop/tail/turn light. This way it can reduce cost and be 1 board, although you'd have to modify your tail light housing by cutting out the partitions.

What's your pick? 3 segments or 1?

He mentioned Dapper lighting @ https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/1971-1973-ford-mustang-advanced-sequential-led-tail-lights

Their product uses 3 boards but cheaper quality, smaller LED's than he utilizes and isn't the quality product he produces.

Let me know your input here and I'll pass it on to Gary, then post back here for you.

No investment in the product, just trying to help a fellow Mustang guy and small business man (now that he's laid off from company merger)

Curtis

Hey guys!

Saw some traffic coming from the forum so I thought I'd drop by and introduce Dapper Lighting. We've been around for about 10 years and are a small business producing OE grade classic car lighting parts. Our headlamps are produced in house in Novato, CA and are used in some popular OE applications such as Charge Cars (Mustang), The Official Eleanor Mustang (Mustang), and The New Trans Am  (Trans Am). 

Generally competing manufacturers have never used or tested our products and unfortunately tend to make non-factual claims about our products. 

In any case, we are always open to working with any and all businesses to help produce great products for classic car owners.

Just remember, take what salesmen say with a grain of salt :)

Cheers!

If you simple rework your housings you will be amazed how much brighter they are cost maybe $10.00. The housings turn brown inside and get chalky. If you blast them with low pressure and sand or walnut shells and then spray with Krylon Fusion satin white paint they look brand new. I have done several sets and also side marker lights. I did the black out also. The only pic I have with lights on is just a flash at the end of a video when I go to reverse. 
I hate people that go to LED that is way too bright I want to just crash into them. Headlights or tail lights.

20200716_151221.jpg

20200716_153059.jpg

20200716_153111.jpg

20200716_153155.jpg

20200716_154600.jpg

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

1 minute ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

If you simple rework your housings you will be amazed how much brighter they are cost maybe $10.00. The housings turn brown inside and get chalky. If you blast them with low pressure and sand or walnut shells and then spray with Krylon Fusion satin white paint they look brand new. I have done several sets and also side marker lights. I did the black out also. The only pic I have with lights on is just a flash at the end of a video when I go to reverse. 
I hate people that go to LED that is way too bright I want to just crash into them. Headlights or tail lights.

20200716_151221.jpg

20200716_153059.jpg

20200716_153111.jpg

20200716_153155.jpg

20200716_154600.jpg

Thanks for the reply David. I never said my lights were dim. I want and will have LED lights on my cars and I know others want the same. I'm also looking into reconfiguring my tail lights to 3 full red segments so they can be different and fully sequential instead of a reverse light in the middle.

Curtis 

I spoke with Gary again and here's what the PCB layout will look like. See the attached PDF file

Per Gary, "I have 12 white LEDs for the reverse lights.  Intermixed there are 9 amber on a separate circuit.  This way, someone can use the reverse light lens as an amber turn light.  May be useful in Europe and Australia."

They'll cost $295 a set

Anyone ready to sign up for a set?

I'm in for 1 right now myself.

Curtis

PCB 3D Print.PDF

71-73 Mustang Tail Lights LED.JPG

Edited by RacerX

I just installed some Vintage LED's and love them. The camera makes them look a tad yellow, but they aren't. They are a nice bright red and they don't show all of the individual LED's too badly. 

• Like 1

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

On 9/12/2020 at 5:04 PM, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

20200716_151221.jpg

20200716_153059.jpg

20200716_153111.jpg

20200716_153155.jpg

20200716_154600.jpg

Those are very nice, David.  And you're right about simply cleaning up and refreshing the 'reflective' surfaces - makes a ton of difference.

I know my tail light lenses suffer from 'still holding together, but cracks running everywhere,' that show up in direct sunlight despite being almost invisible when not. I just scored a handful of some new ones, which I'll be cleaning up and prepping to stuff in some of the Vintage LED panels - best of both worlds.  It won't be quite as cool as the 'Obsidian tail light mod' that I still really want, but at least they'll be bright, sequential across all-three segments, and won't have any more cracks.

This is what I have - the driver side is worse, actually:

49003023163_2cbbee93bd_o.jpg

And this is what I'm talking about with the Obsidian tail light mod - remember these?  Yeah... still makes me mad, but damn they're cool:

75564640_10219943547156456_8075537882355335168_n.jpg

Eric

mach1sig2.gif