Rear spoiler direction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some 71 - 73 Mustang owners have no idea that they have their spoilers installed backwards. As shown in the diagram above, the spoiler leading (front) edge is the thicker side while the trailing (rear edge) should be the thinner portion of the spoiler. When the spoiler is on correctly, the trimmed off edge (noted by red line in photo below left) will be at the rear. Check yours out!

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

Another way of thinking about it is, it is a wing like an aircraft, except upside down. Like a wing, the leading edge is thicker, therefore is to the front. Also like a wing, the top and bottom surfaces are different. On an aircraft wing the top surface is curved far more than the lower surface. This creates lift and keeps the aircraft aloft. We don't want "lift" we want downforce and that is why the wing is in effect upside down, so the "lift" is actually sucking the car down. Now to be fair, the spoiler is not really going to do much at normal speeds, so more for looks than function. 

I once had quite a heated discussion at a car show with a fellow who insisted I was wrong and he was right with his reversed spoiler. I gave up and let him get on with life.

Another way of thinking about it is, it is a wing like an aircraft, except upside down. Like a wing, the leading edge is thicker, therefore is to the front. Also like a wing, the top and bottom surfaces are different. On an aircraft wing the top surface is curved far more than the lower surface. This creates lift and keeps the aircraft aloft. We don't want "lift" we want downforce and that is why the wing is in effect upside down, so the "lift" is actually sucking the car down. Now to be fair, the spoiler is not really going to do much at normal speeds, so more for looks than function. 

I once had quite a heated discussion at a car show with a fellow who insisted I was wrong and he was right with his reversed spoiler. I gave up and let him get on with life.
Yup, you didn't end up "spoiling" his day.

Back