71 Mach1(Trans Am) 2" nose drop

I can relate to your feelings about winter. If I never saw another snowflake again that'd be OK. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,it only took 4 weeks  to install the radiator,but at least it's done. I made the mounts using the KK blue prints for 69/70,and modified it for a 71.The radiator is a high as I could get it. The

A few of my related archived pics. I have more but would need to look harder to locate.  :)  That #25 car is the Tope car when owned and raced by Bill Maier, owner of a very well-known 'repopper' Shel

I am building a 71 Mach 1 into a Trans Am car.I'm building the car as if it have been built by Kar Kraft had Ford not canceled the program.I am however taking some creative liberties in doing so. The

Posted Images

71Rustang and Jeff, There is plenty of room for more gear heads in Oklahoma. While we are currently having a cold spell, the winters are usually very mild compared to the north country. Not as many crazy people here either. Chuck

• Like 1

Except for you and Ray... LOL!! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

On 2/9/2021 at 6:58 PM, c9zx said:

71Rustang and Jeff, There is plenty of room for more gear heads in Oklahoma. While we are currently having a cold spell, the winters are usually very mild compared to the north country. Not as many crazy people here either. Chuck

The past 2 weeks there has been 40+ inches of snow in my driveway. I would leave PA in a heartbeat if I could. What's the job situation in Oklahoma?

7 hours ago, 71Rustang said:

The past 2 weeks there has been 40+ inches of snow in my driveway. I would leave PA in a heartbeat if I could. What's the job situation in Oklahoma?

30+ inches of snow, followed by tornados in the spring.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

Lots of jobs here in the south was in the 60's last two days. I am in North Carolina. Have BMW plant in SC so lots of suppliers in the area. Construction here is crazy and people doing dirt work are getting rich. I know one guy that spent over $40,000 hunting deer last year and he plays in dirt.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Snow?!?!? 

Tonight it was "only" -4 F° ... 

First my doors didn't want to open mechanically and second the atomatic trans sent no power to the rear... until the first 0,1 mile! 

But I got by :thumb:

IMG_20210210_211854.thumb.jpg.25386037835e9bf508f160e536992a51.jpg

• Facepalm 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Jobs here are better than some place as we didn't lose our minds and shut everything down. We asked people to use some judgement and most did. Before Covid hit we were doing even better. Wages were up and anyone who really wanted a job had one. The large employers here  (OKC metro) are the State of Oklahoma, the Air Force Logistics Center, Dell, FAA, colleges, banking, insurance, and of course oil and gas. Despite what the uninformed/mis-informed may say gas and oil is not going away. The small town I live in has more gear heads per capita than any place I've ever been, so I fit in, even if most of them are Chevy guys. Chuck

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the build pics.

I have no luck with welding upside down. Are you inverting the car to weld underneath or what? Your welds look much better than mine ever do...

17 minutes ago, mjlan said:

I have no luck with welding upside down. Are you inverting the car to weld underneath or what? Your welds look much better than mine ever do...

Whatever you try, don't do this::lollerz:

• Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

53 minutes ago, mjlan said:

Hello. I've said it before 85 to 90% of welding is being comfortable and relaxed.Everything you see on the car you think is over head welded,is.Just a car on 4 jack stands. When doing over head stuff,comfort and planning the track of your welds are very important. Also don't turn down the heat.You use more heat welding overhead then you would think,you're working against gravity.You need to be able to sink the first weld to get it to stick,then follow and pay very close attention to the heat bloom as you go and adjust your speed and weld time as you go........................

• Like 1

I was wondering how the radiator was going to fit with the 2" drop in the front. Lots of changes for sure.
If you do have heat issues they are making what is called a triple flow radiator. They use in NASCAR and Trans Am also. The water crosses back and forth three times before it goes back in the engine. They are running 24 to 30 lbs. pressure caps also.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

4 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

I was wondering how the radiator was going to fit with the 2" drop in the front. Lots of changes for sure.
If you do have heat issues they are making what is called a triple flow radiator. They use in NASCAR and Trans Am also. The water crosses back and forth three times before it goes back in the engine. They are running 24 to 30 lbs. pressure caps also.

The first set of brackets I made,i was damned and determined to make them bolt in using the factory holes.Try as I might,it was never going to work.Maybe with a 1 inch drop,but not 2 inch.We'll see how it dose with a big aluminum radiator with all the aluminum ducting.

Hello again.Spring plates are done.I ''based'' them on the KK blue prints.I made them out of 1/4 inch plate.You will notice they are for the staggered shocks. None of the Trans Am cars used staggered shocks that I could find.So here we are,blazing new territory.The shock set up will make me redesign the Watts link,shouldn't be that big of an issue.The plates also include the mount for the rear sway bar which I ordered today.I found a new 5/8'' Stam Bar kit on ebay,so now I have a bar that is straight across like the KK bar so I can mount it to the back of the Watts box.

152091843_422879818987756_5343079537003742122_o.jpg

152486296_422879862321085_6449577448682884269_o.jpg

153610157_422879852321086_5195548946344744107_o.jpg

• Like 1

I have heard that you do not want staggered shocks on a track car. For sure not an expert but I heard from Kenny Brown who is an expert, lol. Great work you never know until you try. I know we made some different angled shim blocks to quickly change the rear pinion  angle back when I worked in race shop for one of our clients. You try everything for sure.

David

Watch this vintage race a little 289 kicks ass and takes names at Daytona for sure. Lots of German cars just cannot stick with him. Screamer for sure. https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/historic/2017/1/video-how-to-go-from-25th-to-1st-in-a-mustang/?fbclid=IwAR2Fb67zoYo1loQuW3R9ypvgeIVBgv9j0b0B9CYHXskJVcy2f6_N9ogd-oM

• Like 1

David

6 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

I have heard that you do not want staggered shocks on a track car. For sure not an expert but I heard from Kenny Brown who is an expert, lol. Great work you never know until you try. I know we made some different angled shim blocks to quickly change the rear pinion  angle back when I worked in race shop for one of our clients. You try everything for sure.

I put a blown hemi in the bed of an A100 that does wheelies.I can make staggered shocks and a watts work on a Mustang to go round corners:biggrin:

Edited by 71Rustang
  • Like 1

Hi, just to drive home the fact I am using the staggered shocks.Here is a pic of a 71 Penske Trans Am Javelin.

Penske-panhard1_zps01c07a8e.jpg

• Like 2

And... I think I see sway bar links. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

It amazes me how good the AMC cars do today in vintage racing. With all the development the Ford guys and Chevy guys have had for all these years those AMC cars are always up from and win lots. One thing Penske had and still has was money. He would rent the track a few days before each race so his crews could go get the cars perfect for each race.
Is the link you see hooked to the plate on the leaf spring going up in wheel well what they limited the down travel on the axle with? Looks like a lever of some type on top to allow up travel and to limit how much it drops. I know some use just chains or cables that one is adjustable also.
Some of the things they do to gain a little edge. I had work in a tool shop in Sussex Wisconsin a lot, Tools, Inc.. He actually built zinc draw dies for Richard Petty and stamped them drawn quarter panels. The company I worked for, Spartanburg Steel Products, Inc., got him the special steel needed to stamp the quarters out of Bake Hard steel. Ford uses that a lot in doors prevents door dings. So by using the springy steel in the quarters they could rub other racers and push the quarter in against the other cars tire and his would spring back. That way his drivers could push others around some. If you hit something too hard would not spring back.
Here is link to the Kenny Brown Cars & Coffee he does every Saturday at 10:00 am. You can send in questions you might have. I think he is just finishing up a new rear suspension package for newer Mustangs that he is getting a patent on. Most of the time they do not go back farther than Fox body but he will answer questions for older cars. He also offers free 15 min. one on one private conversations. Just something to listen and learn more.
Only problem I have now is I forget it quickly, lol.
Be great when you get your car on the track. Maybe next year you can come to Charlotte in April and run the roval they always have track days during the Mustang show there. You can just pit in the open or you can rent one in the NASCAR garage. Also have Raceway Park near Charlotte. Of course we have Road Atlanta in the south also.
Link for Kenny Brown Live THIS Saturday at 10 AM EST on the Kenny Brown Facebook Page or onYouTubeTECH, LIVE Q&A, and MORE!

Any info you share I am all in. Get my back screwed back together and maybe get my track car going.

• Like 1

David

On 2/25/2021 at 7:33 AM, droptop73 said:

And... I think I see sway bar links. 

Yes you do

Hi,those long links you see attached to the spring plates are indeed sway bar end links.The sway bar is tied into the mount for the track bar.Its kind of a smaller version of the KK Watts box............................sort of. I do love Javelins I always have.If I didn't have a Mustang,I would definitely be building a TA Javelin.We'll see how the world goes until next year.I would really like to see the Charlotte show,painted or multi colored I think a lot of people would really like my little ole hot rod.Although the world could also be on fire till next year:rofl: ,so we'll play it by ear........

I almost forgot ,I can be certain now,that there is no more seem I am going to weld on the car,I think......................When I was doing all of the chassis welding last year I did not weld the drivers staggered shock bracket.I wasn't sure I was going to use that shock set up.I was thinking about it for months and months and doing research into every KK TA car that I could find.Not a one of them ran staggered rear shocks.They only Boss 302 KK that did use them was the test car they used to write the Boss Chassis Manual,because that was a production Boss 302.I really thought long and hard about switching my car to a standard shock set up.But if you really see how these cars were built,that's not so easy. The shock crossmember that is welded to the floor doesn't have the 2 extra braces welded inside on the drivers side that the pass side does and no shock hole.I really,really did not want to cut it apart to make and install the extra supports for just a shock.So I left that part of the car and went onto other things.I started doing research on other teams cars like Chrysler,GM,and AMC,that's when I found the AMC's that Penske built used the staggered shocks and they happen to have won the 71 Championship. If it worked for Roger and Mark it will work on my car....................so why not.My car is still going to look like a KK car,but just with staggered rear shocks.Last I welded the shackle mounts,and wow was there a lot of galvanizing smoke. One more thing,welding overhead I never change the settings on my welder.I use the same settings as I would if I were welding at the workbench or on top of the car.i only adjust the settings according to the thicknesses of the material I am welding,just be comfortable physically and comfortable in your ability.

153115808_424520322157039_7172763705855357453_o.jpg

154747570_424520352157036_6124780796224875450_o.jpg

153757447_424520285490376_5239990205363498479_o.jpg

Edited by 71Rustang