Differences in grille support structure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I pilfered the pretty pic from another thread by 92GTS-R. The unrestored one is one I pulled from either a 71 vert or conv or a 72 sprint. I also have a set like the pretty ones. Why is there a difference? Are the twin supports (pretty pic) for the deluxe/mach grille and the single support for the standard grille? Confused?!? Are the colors correct in the pretty pic?

20200907_175210.jpg

1565576217_mustangradplates.jpg.3893b59300e1a97b81980b5dcefc75c1.jpg

I pilfered the pretty pic from another thread by 92GTS-R. The unrestored one is one I pulled from either a 71 vert or conv or a 72 sprint. I also have a set like the pretty ones. Why is there a difference? Are the twin supports (pretty pic) for the deluxe/mach grille and the single support for the standard grille? Confused?!? Are the colors correct in the pretty pic?

View attachment 44306
Ah! the pretty pic would be mine and yes, the color is correct, "slop grey". I'll repost the other parts that were slop grey as well. This of course is  for 71 Mach 1, so check yours

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info!  Does anyone have a recommended gray for the "slop gray"?  Also i believe the hood latch is supposed to be phosphate?  I have tried parkerizing (manganese phosphate) on some gun parts and failed dismally.  So I plan to simply paint it.  I am thinking the cast gray color?  Do I have some of this incorrect?

Good info!  Does anyone have a recommended gray for the "slop gray"?  Also i believe the hood latch is supposed to be phosphate?  I have tried parkerizing (manganese phosphate) on some gun parts and failed dismally.  So I plan to simply paint it.  I am thinking the cast gray color?  Do I have some of this incorrect?
The "slop grey" I use is from NPD. They used to have darker as well, but has not been available for some time now. You can mix your own if you need to. As for the latch, I chose to use Eastwood Cadmium #10022Z which was used on other under hood parts as well, vacuum motor on snorkel etc. Hood springs, shock caps I just sand blasted and  matt clear coated. Not correct, but looks good and most have no idea anyway.

The original factory 71 Mach 1 grilles only have the 4 outboard holes -  I think the front valance was different too - no center hole

The revised version for [ I think sometime in late 71 ]   and 72, the service and repro grilles have 6 holes for the dual outboard and single center supports

Cast coat gray worked well for me.

Haven't tried clear coat but it looks really good on Stanglovers car

The original factory 71 Mach 1 grilles only have the 4 outboard holes -  I think the front valance was different too - no center hole

The revised version for [ I think sometime in late 71 ]   and 72, the service and repro grilles have 6 holes for the dual outboard and single center supports

Cast coat gray worked well for me.

Haven't tried clear coat but it looks really good on Stanglovers car
Don, not to be critical, but on mine the latch is Cadmium  paint, the hood springs and hinges are blasted and clear coated. I miswrote where I just mentioned hood springs. Thanks for the compliment regardless.

i have 3 original lower valances not on a car....the one on the right came off my 71 vert.  They all have some damage.  a good body guy could easily fix.  Notice the one on the right does not have the center hole.....I learned something today.

20200909_154111.jpg

When you tried doing the phosphate did you heat your solution? If not it is required. Pretty much all plating places do it. The reason Ford did not paint hinges, hood latch, parking brake and gas pedal bracket was to prevent any chance of sticking which paint can cause. Yes it was used on guns in past. 
I have to order some more of the phosphate but will also check with local plating shop and see what they will charge. 

where are y'all getting these dichromate bolts? Is there was a kit available to replace all the bolts. or at least a list of every bolt where i can then search its dichromate counterpart that would be great *cough* insert link below *cough*

where are y'all getting these dichromate bolts? Is there was a kit available to replace all the bolts. or at least a list of every bolt where i can then search its dichromate counterpart that would be great *cough* insert link below *cough*
When I did my car, I used the Osborne manuals and MPC to give me the Ford numbers for the bolts, then searched the AMK catalog for the dimensions. I wasn't doing a concourse restoration, so I didn't care about head bolt markings, and if it was 1/8" too long I wasn't concerned. I dumbed down my list to about four different bolts that would fit all the locations and bought a bulk box of each from an Auveco supplier. 

I do have a copy of some Osborne manuals and i do agree if the bolts extend a little more than; then so be it.. i just don't want these things to rust or seize up for whatever reason i need to revisit. 

Back