Subframe connectors on a vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
I  am not sure whether this is properly here in the convertible forum or should be posted in the suspension forum, but I can't find a definitive answer as to whether (or how) to install subframe connectors on a vert. I think I would like to use the tinman versions, but it seems the cross support  will prevent the install. Any insights or suggestions?

Following....I am thinking of a stroker 545 in my vert. Subframe connectors seem like a good idea

Global West is the only one who makes a convertible specific subframe connector that I am aware of. All the others require surgery to install on a vert. The only downside to the GW connectors is they hang down a bit to clear the convertible floor pan so they are somewhat visible from the side. They made a noticeable difference in the stiffness of my car.

does anyone have info about the install of global west connectors? I like the l(more oem) ook of the tinman's and the idea they mate inside the front rail, but if they require serious modification to the car I will go with global's

I ordered Global West 911C subframe connectors for my vert. They should arrive this week. They have a youtube video on the install on a 66 convertible, but it should be basically the same on ours.  Looks fairly simple.

Word of Warning: I ordered these on August 5 from CJs and they have been on backorder since. No calls or emails from CJs telling me so. I had to email a "where's my sh**?" nastygram. Their customer service had no idea when they could get them to me and suggested I order elsewhere. So I cancelled and called Global West directly. Spoke to a very nice lady who said they could ship that day. And they did. Tracking shows they will arrive tomorrow. 

Wish I had seen the post earlier. I have a set of these subframe connectors, never installed, that I would sell for $125 plus shipping. Also, to complete the handling package, I have some lightly used 1" drop front 600# springs that I would sell for $40 plus shipping. also have a new, never installed set of Gabrial  shocks to finish it up. 

I am working on a Q code 72 vert right now. I am going to make my own connectors and also add reinforcement to rocker box to weld roll cage to. I am going to use a material that about 4 times the yield strength of materials used in the current connectors out there. The lover pan is different than other models. I do have hydraulic bender. If they work out I will probably make a few sets to sell.

Chassis is on the rotisserie and in work room will be getting started soon. 

20200905_155857.jpg

I can't say I would call that a "work room", looks more like an "ER"!

Put me on the list for a set.

I am working on a Q code 72 vert right now. I am going to make my own connectors and also add reinforcement to rocker box to weld roll cage to. I am going to use a material that about 4 times the yield strength of materials used in the current connectors out there. The lover pan is different than other models. I do have hydraulic bender. If they work out I will probably make a few sets to sell.

Chassis is on the rotisserie and in work room will be getting started soon. 

View attachment 44487
I made my own as well out of 1-1/2" DOM tubing. I went with a design similar to the Global West and added "loops" that tied into the convertible brace in the middle of the car. They weld at 2 places on the front sub and 2 places in the rear then both bolt and weld to the convertible brace. It's hard to see but the rear wraps around the rear frame rail bend about 6". 

IMG_0639.JPG

connector install1.JPG

connector install3.JPG

connector install2.JPG

if you make sets for sale let me know, if i havent already installed the gobals id be in too

Has anyone made thier own subframe connectors that go through the convertible brace? I am thinking of doing just that - cutting out a 2" wide slot thru the brace and welding in a a 2" square steel tube from the front frame rails to the back rails  and then welding the support brace to either side. That way it would be extra stiff and incorporate the convertible brace as well.

Thoughts?

I think the fox body guys actually put them on the inside and have to cut through the seat risers to install.
I killed my back the day before I was going to order the tubing and bender to make them. Maybe if the surgery works I can still do it. Was also going to come out to the rocker pinch welds and all what the Trans Am guys call a jack pad. It locks in all together that way and takes some of the twist out.
They had a vintage trans am race the other day but my TV tied and probably will not even buy another nothing on bu junk anyway.
On some of the Holman Moody built road race cars the cut hole in rocker box and inserted in chrome moly tube to stiffen and inspectors could not see. They also put the inside convertible rocker boxes in the coupes and fastbacks to stiffen. Hid tubes inside there also.

Lee Holman said his dad could go to a Ford assembly plant and pretty much shut down production for them to make chassis for building the race cars.

Sub-frame connectors are the best first chassis upgrade for any unibody car. They improve a lot of thing for little money. Chuck

Back