Subframe connectors on a vert

I  am not sure whether this is properly here in the convertible forum or should be posted in the suspension forum, but I can't find a definitive answer as to whether (or how) to install subframe connectors on a vert. I think I would like to use the tinman versions, but it seems the cross support  will prevent the install. Any insights or suggestions?

Following....I am thinking of a stroker 545 in my vert. Subframe connectors seem like a good idea

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1988 Bronco II

2014 F150 Supercrew

Global West is the only one who makes a convertible specific subframe connector that I am aware of. All the others require surgery to install on a vert. The only downside to the GW connectors is they hang down a bit to clear the convertible floor pan so they are somewhat visible from the side. They made a noticeable difference in the stiffness of my car.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

I ordered Global West 911C subframe connectors for my vert. They should arrive this week. They have a youtube video on the install on a 66 convertible, but it should be basically the same on ours.  Looks fairly simple.

Word of Warning: I ordered these on August 5 from CJs and they have been on backorder since. No calls or emails from CJs telling me so. I had to email a "where's my sh**?" nastygram. Their customer service had no idea when they could get them to me and suggested I order elsewhere. So I cancelled and called Global West directly. Spoke to a very nice lady who said they could ship that day. And they did. Tracking shows they will arrive tomorrow. 

I just ordered the last instock set at Summit.  ~175 shipped.  Also available at Jegs for about the same price (~179).  Summit charged shipping but no tax, Jegs free shipping but tax.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Global+West/459/911C/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQXceQoPxFa665Wd8tY2aTSsILzLcJ1250owtN0xFcstfMy-k2keZOBoCZvYQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-911c

Shipping dates are not that far out on either.  $50 cheaper than other places.

• Like 1

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1988 Bronco II

2014 F150 Supercrew

Wish I had seen the post earlier. I have a set of these subframe connectors, never installed, that I would sell for $125 plus shipping. Also, to complete the handling package, I have some lightly used 1" drop front 600# springs that I would sell for $40 plus shipping. also have a new, never installed set of Gabrial  shocks to finish it up. 

I am working on a Q code 72 vert right now. I am going to make my own connectors and also add reinforcement to rocker box to weld roll cage to. I am going to use a material that about 4 times the yield strength of materials used in the current connectors out there. The lover pan is different than other models. I do have hydraulic bender. If they work out I will probably make a few sets to sell.

Chassis is on the rotisserie and in work room will be getting started soon. 

20200905_155857.jpg

• Like 2

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

2 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

I am working on a Q code 72 vert right now. I am going to make my own connectors and also add reinforcement to rocker box to weld roll cage to. I am going to use a material that about 4 times the yield strength of materials used in the current connectors out there. The lover pan is different than other models. I do have hydraulic bender. If they work out I will probably make a few sets to sell.

Chassis is on the rotisserie and in work room will be getting started soon. 

20200905_155857.jpg

I made my own as well out of 1-1/2" DOM tubing. I went with a design similar to the Global West and added "loops" that tied into the convertible brace in the middle of the car. They weld at 2 places on the front sub and 2 places in the rear then both bolt and weld to the convertible brace. It's hard to see but the rear wraps around the rear frame rail bend about 6". 

IMG_0639.JPG

connector install1.JPG

connector install3.JPG

connector install2.JPG

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Sorry, no more sets. One was enough for me... LOL!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]