Rear End Pinion Seal Extraction Issues

Hi guys, So here i am trying to replace the rear end seal since it was leaking and i thought ohh... this is going to be an easy repair. I followed the typical mark ups to align everything back to normal the simple stuff... now everywhere I've seen here on "how- to extract" it is fairly straight forward.. hammer the over hanging lip of the seal in various places and eventually you can just pry it back. well... here i am hammering lightly and see that and nothing... so i cleaned up the gunk that had collected so i can see if i was tapping the lip and to my surprise i was tapping a lip on the housing and noticed this aint the same seal :classic_mellow: the seal is sitting "inside" the housing... this lookis more like the seals that go on the axles and not over the pinion...and I don't know how to extract that without inserting something. someone have any ideas #1 why the seal doesn't match? #2 how-to extract :(

IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

Edited by kiko619
Specificity

1972 Mach1 H-code 351C - 2V - bought 10/5/2010 still a headeache

1972 Grande coupe Inline 6 1bbl - dad bought in 90's Sold

• kiko619 changed the title to Rear End Pinion Seal Extraction Issues

Run a coarse thread drywall screw into the sheet metal portion of the seal then use a pair of alternative lifestyle pliers to grab the screw and leverage it out enough until you can get a screw driver or chisel behind it.

• Like 2

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

That’s not a bad idea would have been a lot easier than what I did.....So here’s what I did. I unbolted the 5 bolts to the pinion. And just removed the casing; took a clean flat head and wedged it between the bearing and that seal. Gave it a few taps and out she came :) replaced it with what actually is easier for future maintenance (the seal that over hang the lip) since it was out I cleaned up the pinion casing from any debris and all that good stuff. Still, a very different seal that I’ve seen for this application and clearly a more laborious route. @TommyK if I ever run this encounter again I will remember your advice 🙌🏼

D46ABB6B-CF3C-4033-BEE9-651563C6CF97.jpeg

1972 Mach1 H-code 351C - 2V - bought 10/5/2010 still a headeache

1972 Grande coupe Inline 6 1bbl - dad bought in 90's Sold