Murphy Auto Museum, Oxnard CA

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomousbronco

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
'72 Mach 1. 351C, 4 Speed Toploader w/ Hurst Shifter, 9'' Rear End (3.9). Power windows, rear defroster. I’m
She’s at the front of the collection. The curator told me that the mechanic on staff stopped dead in his tracks as he walked by...any member’s in the area want to see it, PM me and I’ll be happy to work something out with the museum. 

2689B1E1-C027-4278-8749-D8B1A5BF6909.jpeg

F8FC725A-6138-41F9-A2BA-F5335CA50D04.png

Don't take this wrong but not a very correct car for sure. If a Mach 1 no chrome fender and hood extensions. If a Mach 1 rubber bumper unless non factory color. The hood black out is all wrong shape and shine. This is an original car so hood is how it should look. Was in the Mustang Owner's Museum for 6 months was going to be part of inside display at the PITS and then to Floyd Garrett Muscle Car Museum but virus shut that down. A survivor car not painted.

DSC_1264.JPG

I had a 65 concours car (grand national winner that Perkin’s knows of), that’s why I love the Restomod. I’m aware, thanks for pointing out the obvious. 

You’re also the reason many youth stay away from classic cars, don’t take this the wrong way. 

Play nice you two. Not everyone has an original car whether a survivor or concourse resto. Obviously Auto likes what he has or sees. Dave you are obviously proud of your highly optioned hardly driven original car. But you both agree you like the 71-73 body style. Encouraging newer members is a good thing. If you want to point out flaws to someone do it in private message. Or just leave it alone. Make the hobby fun, too many guys have ruined the hobby and ran clubs into the ground. Found the common ground and respect each other.

I will say that pointing out differences over original vs modded is not a strike against any great looking car.  To each their own. But it is important to keep the knowledge of how these cars were original equipped alive and encouraged.  Many original equipment/packages  on these cars are not obvious to most.   And we who try and keep up with this info are always learning!   I personally like many original and modded 71-3 Mustangs.

Ray

Goes back to what I have said all along. "It's your car build it however you want" I can appreciate a concourse correct car but it really does nothing for me. But that being said I drive and enjoy my car in a different way that someone who takes the time to do a concourse restoration. To each his own.  You know they say they are only original once, so once you change or restore anything the all original is out the window. Personally I don't have the patience to do a concourse restoration. this Mustang was at the 2019 Pigeon forge rod run. Absolutely beautiful car, but said he would not drive it. I know everyone has fun in their own way but for me cars are made to drive and enjoy.

our-top-five-fords-from-the-pigeon-forge-rod-run-0023.JPG

our-top-five-fords-from-the-pigeon-forge-rod-run-0034.JPG

our-top-five-fords-from-the-pigeon-forge-rod-run-0035.JPG

Each owner has their tipping point concerning driving/storing/showing their respective cars.  I have seen folks heavily restomod their cars and not want to drive them much either.  I think it has to do with maintaining the higher level of detail equired to keep them really nice.  If you have an exceptionally nice  - or close to it - the time and money it takes to keep it that way can become exhausting and draining.  I have to admit my cars are nowhere near that high level and I do OK to keep the convertible looking as good as I CAN.   It looks OK from about 10 to 15 feet; closer than that the bad spots are very obvious.  When you have what you consider a huge investment in your car it makes it harder to put it in harm's way.  You guys know what I am referring.  Like rocks coming off other vehicle's tires or trailers or dried road salt and sand still on the roads after a bad ice storm. (There are many more!!!!)  I remember going on a long 'scenic' drive many years ago (1978) with some local Shelby American club members.  Cobras, Shelby Mustangs, Tigers and some Mach's and Boss cars along with some regular Mustangs were in the group.  The person that mapped it out failed to notice that some of the backroads were old county maintained GRAVEL ROADS.  And this was back when we DROVE our cars a lot!  I was riding with a friend but I remember he and others were not too happy about driving on that stretch of roadway.  We kept a big distance between cars - the dust was intense! 

Sometimes a simple drive across town can necessitate  a one to two hour cleanup of the car upon returning home!  

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I agree and when I had my ‘65 concours trailer queen, I remember every time I took it out....it was white knuckle. That’s why when I picked my ‘72, I wanted to enjoy the car and take it out for cruises without having my blood pressure elevated the entire drive.

I intentionally choose to have these aesthetic modifications done (I didn’t cut or drill holes etc. so the next guy or gal can return it to stock if he or she wants). I also got tired of people walking up to my ‘65 and telling me what they thought was wrong, my favorite was when they said the fender bolts had the wrong markings and they didn’t know it was a San Jose Plant car rather than a Dearborn produced Mustang.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this discussion and keeping the passion for the 71-73’s going strong. I’d also like to say again if any member is to near Oxnard, CA and would like to see the Museum’s collection, DM and I’ll cover the cost.

Best,

Henry

I do not understand why people get offended when me or anyone tries to put correct information out there. I thought the whole idea of having a forum was to share what info we have. How does anyone learn what is right if we do not share info? I have absolutely no issue with people building their car as they wish. I am I am putting roll cage in a 72 Q vert for safety reason. For sure not stock or original but if I am going to drive it over 100 mph going to have a cage. Changing your car is no different from walking into the dealer back then and order what you wanted. 
None of my comments are only there to give those that want to know what an original is the info they need. 
I do not care if you put a Chevy engine in it if that is what winds your clock. If you like your spoiler on backwards like most seem to that is up to you. Just want members to know what was original.

I do not understand why people get offended when me or anyone tries to put correct information out there. I thought the whole idea of having a forum was to share what info we have. How does anyone learn what is right if we do not share info? I have absolutely no issue with people building their car as they wish. I am I am putting roll cage in a 72 Q vert for safety reason. For sure not stock or original but if I am going to drive it over 100 mph going to have a cage. Changing your car is no different from walking into the dealer back then and order what you wanted. 
None of my comments are only there to give those that want to know what an original is the info they need. 
I do not care if you put a Chevy engine in it if that is what winds your clock. If you like your spoiler on backwards like most seem to that is up to you. Just want members to know what was original.
Here maybe this applies

Just had an update from the curator, Carroll Shelby's widow and family stopped the museum and they loved the car! They even took a photo in front of it, see attached:  

Shelby w 72.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back