Best aftermarket intake & carb & electronic ignition (alternatively, surrendering and throwing in the towel)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
A bit depressed. 4 out of 5 times when I go to start my car (Q code vert) it turns and turns and turns but doesn't start. After a few tries it finally starts and runs ok. It was also running very rich and today we opened the carb (4300) and changed the float level (it was too high). That helped the running rich, and seemed to help the refusing to start (at least until I left the mechanic's, then it started again). Additionally the EGR  vacuum is disconnected and the line capped along with about 4 or 5 other lines that are also capped), the vacuum canister is similarly disconnected (tried reconnecting it, not sure if it helped or not) and the distributor seems to be incorrectly plumbed (no obvious vacuum advance control module just a very small three way T). 

Unless there is someone in the NY area who really knows these cars and can help me figure out how to make it run smoothly, I am considering giving up and pulling the intake and carb and dizzy for aftermarkets (and possibly a better cam (while I am in there).  I was hoping for suggestions on what to get, considering I need (want) to keep the height correct to allow the addition of the ram air mach 1 hood. Also any thoughts on switching to the Petronix distributor and coil? I have the factory tach and would like to try to keep the car as original as practical. 

Thanks

Rich

72368481-770-0@2X.jpg

If you want the absolute best "headache-free" combo, I'd suggest either a vacuum secondary Holley 4160 or Edelbrock AVS2 carb (cfm will depend on your engine) paired with an MSD ready to run billet distributor - all of the perks of having an MSD ignition, without the box.

I'm more of a Holley guy, but the AVS2 carb does have annular boosters out of the box which can really help out with driveability.

The 4300 carb sucked when it was new so don't feel bad that almost 50 years later you are having trouble making it work.

Edelbrock performer 4V intake and the Holley, Summit or Eddy carb of your choice should get you running reliably.

Nothing wrong with a Pertronix conversion.

Post pics of the vacuum lines in question if you make the leap to aftermarket intake/carb and you will get input on what needs to stay and what can go.

I had similar problems in the beginning. Switched to Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock Carb and Pertronix and it made a world of difference. Now if I could just get it to look as good as it runs...

Okay, displaying my ignorance here on 73's, but is the 73 Q code equipped with the spread bore manifold like the 72 was? If that's the case then perhaps a 71 M code intake or a Blue Thunder seems to be popular, then top it off with either a Quick Fuel HR735 or the summit equiv. Then either a properly curved DuraSpark set up or Pertronix Ignitor II with matching coil, 8mm spiral wound wire set and Autolite 24 plugs.

I had similar problems in the beginning. Switched to Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock Carb and Pertronix and it made a world of difference. Now if I could just get it to look as good as it runs...
I have a similar set-up, except with a Duraspark ignition and Accel SuperCoil - runs awesome and looks great!  The factory-style distributor even allows factory Ram Air fitment without modification like the other aftermarket (larger) HEI style distributors.

Back