Fastback Seat Platform

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
So I’ve been having a rough time with getting a proper seat platform. My passenger side was badly damaged with rust and so I ordered what I thought was a replacement through CJ pony. 

when it arrived it didn’t look like the picture and in fact was simply a bad fit. 

after doing some research it seems I’m not the only one. 

with that being said initially I thought maybe I ordered the “cheaper” one on CJ pony so I quickly ordered another making sure I chose the right one. We’ll fool me once...

same one showed up so now it’s been a 3 week long hassle of trying to get customer service help for a return. 

id sure like to just find the one that is a good fit. I wish I could make my old one work but it’s just not possible. 

has anyone replaced a passenger platform for a fastback with success on a repop? 

thanks! 

C41EF3AD-A0E3-493F-BDD8-0D3DBCA5E379.jpeg

6328BA38-B356-4F0E-B926-459797645FAD.jpeg

I have not heard of much success on reproduction fastback platforms.  I used a donor but saved my original since they didn’t have much reproduction metal for ours at the time I needed it.

I suggest you reach out to Ohio Mustang Supply to see if he can help you locate a correct reproduction, or Motor City Mustang to see if he has a spare.

Also, this is a great place to practice your fabrication skills.  Use your old one and add metal to replace the rot.  Even if your welds are sloppy or your grinding not clean it will not be visible when the car is finished.  But be sure the job is solid structurally, since your seats are bolted to it.

kcmash

+1 on contacting Don at Ohio Mustang, he knows which repro parts are good and what's junk. Depending on how bad yours is you may be able to repair them.  On my 72 Mach I cut the rusted areas out and welded in new metal. Ryan

Not sure about now but when I put my car together the only ones reproduced were for a coupe. The are bout an inch higher. You can cut them down but  I had no idea when I was putting mine together so as you can guess I sit a little higher. I coated the inside of my car with Lizard Skin so I was not going through the hassle of changing/fixing it. Talk with Don at Ohio Mustang. He will shoot you straight. Like it or not.

CJ Pony parts sucks! Don’t get anything from those bunch of yahoo who’s. They don’t know much about our cars and their customer service is horrible. 
I have the same feelings towards them. I would post a conversation i had with them, but #1 I'm not about to go on the record for slander. Ohio Mustang and Johns Mustang here in Houston are my go-to's if i cannot find what I need. CJ Pony is when I need the specialty parts like when i needed the Grille support or the front frame rail patch repair.

@Trevynd there was a thread about the ride height where it was mentioned these reproductions are about 1-3 inches taller in ride height. The parts i got from Johns, matched Ohio's pics for reference, and they were from Dynacorn. I crossed reference the measurements new to old and they sit about 1.5 inches taller. i did however, have to make a small relief mod because the drivers side was 1/2inch wider in the back and i would brush up against the floor pan tunnel. the new platforms are good if you're 5'8 and below. for me, old seats made me feel like i was in a tank with barely any visibility just sat too low for my taste. New risers and same old bucket seats give me about 2-4 inch clearance from the roof of the car to my head, improved visibility and i can actually rest my arm on the door. Now this is also due to me sliding the riser back from original location about 2 inches because i have longer legs than my torso. you really just gotta play with it. "measure twice cut once rule" really does apply here. and definitely apply POR-15 on the whole thing before you weld it in. same goes for the floor.

@Trevynd found it. read the whole thing. its worth for you engrave "you're rebuilding the car to suit you not others." lol hence the relocation of some things in the car.

I purchased a full floor from dynacorn that included both seat platforms for fastback.  I compared replacements to my originals and they are very close in height if not spot on.

I ended up reusing my originals so I have the new ones extra.  If you cannot get them from Ohio mustang I would be willing to sell them.  They would cost a bunch to ship as they are big and heavy.  BTW-those bare metal ones in the picture look terrible.  The black ones pictured are what I have and they match all the factory shapes like they should.  I had an issue with my new full floor in that the shape was a bit different which caused me to reshape the leading edge of seat platforms a bit to meet the floor.  The dynacorn half floors have the correct shape to meet the seat platform fronts but that is a different subject.  

I purchased a full floor from dynacorn that included both seat platforms for fastback.  I compared replacements to my originals and they are very close in height if not spot on.

I ended up reusing my originals so I have the new ones extra.  If you cannot get them from Ohio mustang I would be willing to sell them.  They would cost a bunch to ship as they are big and heavy.  BTW-those bare metal ones in the picture look terrible.  The black ones pictured are what I have and they match all the factory shapes like they should.  I had an issue with my new full floor in that the shape was a bit different which caused me to reshape the leading edge of seat platforms a bit to meet the floor.  The dynacorn half floors have the correct shape to meet the seat platform fronts but that is a different subject.  
 Man that’d be awesome but you’re right, shipping would kill me. 

unfortunately I just found Out I’m responsible for return shipping and that’s almost 100$ so even for a refund I wouldn’t gain anything. 
so now I have 2 platforms that’s aren’t that great. 

I guess I’ll just use one and Itl just be higher in there. At least it’s the passenger who will be my wife haha! She’s 5’8” so Itl be just fine. 

what a pain. Wish I would have known all this before 

Back