How much does your car weigh?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfairmont

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1
Just curious how much the 71-73 mustangs weigh. If you've run you car on a scale, please share and provide a general description, body type, cleveland or 302, deluxe vs. std interior. Thanks!

Good question! The titled weight on my 73 Convertible 6 cylinder is 3,106 pounds. The GVWR weight on the door sticker is 4,150. Mine came with Decor Option, Power Disc Brakes, power steering, full console, AM/FM, steel wheels with trim rings and hub cap, sport mirrors. Can't think of any other options that may effect the weight.

I believe the convertibles actually weighed more than the coupes but maybe we will find out here.

I've never had mine weighed on a scale.

My door tag on my 73 Q code w/C6 and 3.50 rear says 4447 lbs. Can't wait to finish it and put it on a scale because that just doesn't seem right. But I just went out to check my 73 Chevelle w/454 and th350 and it was 5472 lbs. with a full frame.

My door tag on my 73 Q code w/C6 and 3.50 rear says 4447 lbs. Can't wait to finish it and put it on a scale because that just doesn't seem right. But I just went out to check my 73 Chevelle w/454 and th350 and it was 5472 lbs. with a full frame.
The 4447 sounds like the GVWR weight, or the maximum loaded weight with passengers and luggage. The actual weight should be in the mid 3,000's.

My registration form reads 1510 kg (= 3 328,98016 lbs according to Google). That is listed as "Masse en service" that translates to "Unladen weight + 75kg for the driver".

Max authorized weight is 2100 kg (= 4 629,70751 lbs again Google)

That is for a 1972 vert with 302, FMX and almost full optinons.

I haven't weighed the car though. Those are only the official numbers on my registration.

I did check the "Illustrated Facts and Specifications Manual" for the 1971 Mustang and it lists the following numbers under "Curb Weight":

For the 6 cylinder manual:

Hardtop :3080, Convertible: 3200, Sportsroof: 3050

Grande 3110

Mach1 3180

Boss 351 3370

No Numbers for the V8 Convertible though.

Last edited by a moderator:
My registration label lists the unladen weight at 1451 kilos (or 3192 pounds).

But that's only because when I got the car registered in Australia for the first time that's what I told the rego people the car weighed, based on info I found on the internet.

But that's only because when I got the car registered in Australia for the first time that's what I told the rego people the car weighed, based on info I found on the internet.
Aahh, that my friend is called cheating! ;)

I shoulda told them it was 1000 pounds lighter. Having a lighter car might have aided my cars handling and performance.....
wacko.gif

ya...curb weight in my cousin ford shop manual says 3000ish too 3200 counts on your options...now thats with out any fluids in it..not even motor oil or gas....so put a full tank in it...oil..all the fluids...including the radiator..you will easly get too 3500ish with you in it....but this is still lighter than the trans am in the same years..a whopping 3850 curb weight..lol..and 1973 comaro is 3680ish curb..lol...and they like to call are cars heavy? i laugh when they say there allmost 4000 pounds like mustang mag said..yes there big compared too most older mustangs.{68 and down}..same weight though as the 69 and 1970 mustangs...but handles better ;)...and looks better of cource {grins} ..all that bad press still sticks too them..when really..they were cutting edge...in weight and design....way ahead of the compition at the time.

I wonder what he tells his better half about how much he weighs!!! :whistling:

My 1972 Mach 1.

All original 351c4V, FMX, 9" 28 splines with 15x7 magnums, all steel, only exeption was aluminium intakemanifold and headers compared to the original. Scale showed (1620 kg) 3571 lbs with unknown amount of fuel at the tank.

Same car with 460cid with alum. heads/intake waterpump, TKO600, scattershield etc. With added weight from caltracs systems, grab-a-trac 4 1/2 rearleafs, frame connectors & cross bars and 3 1/2" exhaust from the collectors to the rear valance (with 1/12" wall thickness) and a tool case (15 lbs) = shake down run... With all that added weight the same scale showed (1680 kg) 3704 lbs.

Friend of mine had a bonestock 1971 Mach 1 with folding rear seat, it was only changed an iron headed 460 cid with alum.intake, C6, otherwise stock, scale showed (1650 kg) 3638 lbs. Now it's missing interior, front bumber, shorter exhaust and scale showed (1512 kg) 3333 lbs with iron headed 460 + C6. All steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
This information may not be relevant to the purpose of the topic, but it is an indication of how much weight may be removed without radical body panel or glass modifications.

My '71 "H" code Mach 1 is a legal NHRA Stock Eliminator race car that weighs 3,000 lbs. before adding ballast and driver weight to reach the necessary scale weight for my class. We are allowed to remove components such as o.e.m wiring, wipers, heater, back seat and original fuel tank. It has Wilwood disc brakes up front/stock drums rear. The stock leafs have been substituted with one piece composite style springs. A roll bar and frame connectors were added to the chassis for strength and safety. The standard interior retains original seats and dash - no console. For classification purposes we call it a '72 with 351CJ horsepower rating of 266. Probably some excess weight left, but for now, we're done!

My '72 convert weights 3320lbs with 3/4 tank of gas. Originally a 302, C4, non A/C car with an 8" rear. Currently has a 351w with aluminum heads, manifold and a NASA hood, all else stock including the single exhaust.

Dan

I had my Mach 1 on the scale at the drag was strip. The weight of the car was 3400lbs, 3550 with me in it. Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim, I don't know how much my car weighs ... but I couldn't pass by your comment without saying something :) ...

I can't remember ever weighing 150 lbs. I gotta say ... I'm a little jealous :udaman:

my 73 mach 1 with the heavy front bumper, 460 with alum heads, no interior, alum seats, cage and etc, it weights 3400lbs and 3610 with me in it.

the nose of the car is heavy, lightening up the front bumper and hood will lose a ton of weight and help in ET.

Back