73 Distributor Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convert
Hello all,

I have a few questions on the distributor in a stock 73 with 302.

1. Is there a way to find out the correct part number for what the car would have come with? It currently has an autolite 12127. For a 73 shouldn't this be a Motocraft part? (PO may have swapped out?)

2. How much up/down play is normal on the distributor shaft?

3. How much movement is normal on the plate that the points are mounted to? (mine seems to move a lot but don't know if that is normal)

For now I am running the stock ignition system to get the engine running and broke in and later will be looking into upgrade to Duraspark.

Thanks for any info!

The master parts catalog and the shop manual are sources for the distributor numbers.

The end play is specified in the shop manual, volume 2, section 23

Are you talking about up and down play or back and forth on the breaker plate? The shop manual will help you on that one, too.

Don,

Thanks for reply. I went back through the shop manual as you suggested and found the end play spec.

The issue on the breaker plate is back and forth movement. I'll keep looking for this information in the manual.

I have a 73 Conv. with orig. 12127 D3ZF distributor. Do you know where I can find a rebuild kit? I have new points, cond. & rotor..

but it's gonna need springs and gasket etc.

Thanks

Doug in Indy

Back